Hope Needs Healing Thoughts...Update 05/21

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for you all. This story stuns me, but I don't know how I'm surprised anymore. I just can't fathom letting an animal reach this sort of condition...

You guys are saints! :heart:

lots and lots and lots of good thoughts coming from me and my crew, which includes a girl named Hope who has been lucky and has always been healthy and well cared for.
:hugs:

oh what is wrong with people? I don't understand it.

One of my last emails was asking if Rascal got sick to let me know. That elderly rats often come down with illnesses and that it wouldn't stop me taking her in, etc...she emailed me back right after I left for my Mom's on Thursday afternoon

Hi Shelagh,
I'm very sorry about the delay with all of this. We've had a lot of things going on with the family and work this week. I'm actually Pat's (the woman Chelle spoke with) daughter. I've just moved back home and she wanted help with getting him on Kijiji, so I tried to look after it but it's been a lengthy process, as you can see haha. Rascal is elderly, but we haven't experienced any sickness with her. Sometimes her skin gets irritated, but that's something we've been dealing with (creams, etc.) since we first got her. It's nothing difficult to deal with, and doesn't happen all that often. Chelle and Pat have spoken and I believe she's coming by the office tomorrow.
Apologies again. Let me know if you need anything else with her.
Take care and it was nice talking to you, hope she makes a nice addition to your home.
- Chandler

:shock: :shock:

We're now thinking she might have CHF as well as, or instead of, pneumonia. Bleh. She's happy as anything though!

I would be happy too if I got out of that place. I'm sure she realizes she's in much better hands. :heart:

Did you see their dog? I wonder what condition it's in...

What a gorgeous rattie. Even despite all she's been through, she's lovely and so full of life. *Sending healing vibes* I'm so glad to see she's in better hands now. Keep us updated. :heart: :heart:

Well little Hope is here. She's absolutely lived up to her billing, she's wonderful and you just have to love her. She's one of those incredible neglected rescues who have the biggest hearts and are sooo sweet.

Her lungs actually sound a LOT better today but she is scary thin and her breathing is very rapid. :/

jan15Hope5.jpg

jan15Hope1.jpg

Curious little girl...
jan15Hope3.jpg

She does the best head tips for cheek rubs, her eyes instantly soften and gently smile
jan15Hope2.jpg

and you get rewarded. Not just for cheek rubs but just for being there...really really rewarded. :heart: :heart:

jan15Hope4.jpg

She looks so sweet. The kissy pic makes me fall inlove, lol.I don't know why anyone would think that's a healthy weight for a rat. :( I send healing vibes and loves.

oh that just about breaks your heart, don't it?!?!

what a great girl, I hope and pray she gets better fast and has lots of time to soak up all the lovin I know she'll be getting

I got 6 cc's of Ensure into Hope last night, but this morning it was only 1 before she refused. She's mildly dehydrated so I gave her fluids this morning as well...she was very good about that. Her breathing seems worse today, but lets see how she responds to the fluids. I also put her on a diagnostic dosing of enalapril, since she may have heart issues, we'll know soon.

Hope pics for today.

She was given a very minimal and gentle bath last night to get some of that oily crud (probably the creams they used on her skin) because it was making her fur fall out. She recovered from her bathing experience well, and I think feels better being "clean" since she cannot clean herself yet. Her skin is tight on her body, except between her front legs and chest :? She also has very itchy ears so I have been rubbing them for her.

Moving around a little now...yesterday you put her somewhere under or near or under fabric and there she would stay. Now she's moving around a little. Sooo painfully skinny still. :sad-p:

jan16Hope3.jpg

jan16Hope4.jpg

jan16Hope5.jpg

She gets a lot of reassurance from cuddling into hands or under fabric.
jan16Hope6.jpg

jan16Hope7.jpg

She grooms with only one hand
jan16Hope2.jpg

But loves grooming humans even more if she has the opportunity :D
jan16Hope1.jpg

Back