Hope for Wildlife open house Sunday - Pictures!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Hope for Wildlife is a rescue organization that helps wild animals, from deer to skunks to crows. Hope is the name of the lady who has started the whole thing.
They have an annual open house, and it is tomorrow. I have never been there, although I have watched a couple of shows on them (on Eastlink cable).
I am taking my mom as I know she will be very interested. (She has been watching an eagles' nest all summer on the computer.)
I don't know if anyone else is close enough to go, but thought I'd throw that out there. It's on the Eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Should be fun!
:)

I love the wildlife places. I went to a wildlife rescue event and my friend does it. I bet you will have fun.

Love places like this. My mom and I have gone to an open house at the wildlife center in our state. They have done outreach animals who aren't able to be released back into the wild for various reasons, and we got to meet a giant blind possum on our visit. So cool!

I hope you and your ma have a good time. Take pictures (if they're allowed)!

So we drove out to the open house, not really knowing what to expect but perhaps something with a few tables of info and a few people dropping by.

Wow, were we wrong! Starting off, there were cars on both sides of the road for a kilometre. I dropped my mum off and went searching for a space (scored a pretty good spot). Then a walk up the long driveway and we're in the thick of things. Signed in and made a donation and then just looked around:

563e2ef0d4a9a8dacdba53474b240663.jpg

There were several outbuildings, so we went into the first one and it had the vet's space upstairs. They also had some veggies planted up there, and one little fellow hanging out. He had one of his legs removed, so he is a permanent fixture:

f4af2929cc3807a6137523688aa176c9.jpg

Looking out over the railing:

72749297301aa3f0f1c1f6ec85bf342f.jpg

This gentleman was talking about birds. I was pretty close!

9e9bd06ea879290b49db3fc1c6de6f31.jpg

At the top of the hill they had a scaffold lookout tower about three stories tall. This was the view looking out towards the road:

416d1d59a09c95310dc8ea8dfe6b765f.jpg

Anyway, they had quite a few booths (one promoting veganism!)
I bought some fresh honey (oops, not vegan LOL).
There was the police canine unit, rescues,bake sale, etc.
There were also several more buildings there with birds, ducks, raccoons, a seal, more skunks (SO adorable!), squirrels etc. The deer were blocked off - apparently they imprint much too easily.

It was crazy busy and some of the lines moved very slowly so I didn't get to see everything. But it sure was an eye opener!

I'm so glad they are here in NS though. They fill a huge need and they are definitely worth supporting. :)

Wow, great turn out. It's wonderful to see how much interest and support there is for these groups.

Love the skunk shot. They are so stinkin cute! ( literally lol)

That's a great shot of that hawk (?) as well.

What a gorgeous place. Glad you and your mom had a good time :)

Back