Homemade Hammocks (without a sewing machine)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys!

I want to make some homemade hammocks, because buying them is cost WAY to much, espicialy with all the recent surgerys, I have lots of soft blankets to use, but how to I hang them? also I don't have a sewing machine nor can I sew, is there anyway I can still make one?
Any suggestions to other things I can make would be great too :) ..Ratties love new things

I buy the shower curtain hooks or loops at any store like Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot. They work really well, just remember to wash them when you change the hammocks or they stink.

Teri said:
I buy the shower curtain hooks or loops at any store like Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot. They work really well, just remember to wash them when you change the hammocks or they stink.

that's what i do

I use grommets + cheap metal shower hooks.

Grommets are particularly good for joining material togeter as well. IE honeycomb hammock, turning flat hammocks to tubes etc

fcibgo.jpg

Thanks, I'll pick some up tonight. so with homemade hammocks, do I just get a piece of material and put holes in the corners and hang them on the shower curtain hooks?

My first few hammocks that I made were made with 2 pieces of fabric (outside - flannel and inside fleece) "sewn" together with no-sew hemming tape. A grommet in each corner and voila!

(I get my mother to sew them now, she hates the boys but seems to love creating the hammmocks)

People also sew in fabric ribbon as it is cheaper to use then grommets. like this

ama58x.jpg

Ill take a picture today of some hammocks i have made with fabric ribbon :)

edit: here is some i made with ribbon/fleece hangs viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13637

Also here is pictures of homemade(without sewing machine) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15465 made by lindsayfawn

also made by lindsayfawn my sercret santa gifts were all hand made too :happydance:

100_2905.jpg

I found a big bag of grommets for attempts at making my own hammocks at Canadian Tire, because the little craft grommets only come with 12 and a tool at Wal-Mart and I'm terrible with tools, but I didn't check the hardware section there either. Also, I found a huge bag of shower curtain hooks at Value Village (also Savers in the US occasionally). (I don't know about you but I like, live in Value Village... but I'm a student so I guess that's why.) I found a huge bag for $2.99 there the last time I went.

Thanks everyone :) ..I am going to attempt to make a simple hammock tonight, I'll post a picture when I am done :)

you dont have to do those metal hole punch things if you dont want to.. it makes it look neater .. but you can also just cut a small hole with siscors for the metal shower hook to go thru. works great for us when we just make a quick one.

I make mine like the no sew fleece blankets just mini sized for hammocks. You just tie the edges together and then you can hang them with the shower curtain hooks or whatever you have available. Also you don't even have to do the ties all the way around, just 4-5 on each corner and then its a double hammock the ratties can crawl into.

Here's the directions for the blankets...
http://www.allkindsofbabystuff.com/

And you can kinda see the hammocks on the top of the CN in this pic, that is how I make mine. Its quick and easy and you don't feel so bad when they shred them. Sorry I don't have a better pic, I will have to take pics when I make new ones...
DSC02599.jpg

another simple way, the way i used to make them, before i could sew was to just takke a square piece of fabric... and cut on one of the corners a slit. so that it makes two triangles... that way it's easy to just tie all corners. the other way is like the link someone else gave you. you use the same technique to make tie blankets to make them. you take two pieces of fabric... cut a bunch of |||||| line that look like htat.. you have to put the pieces on top of eachother and make cuts like that on top and bottom.. and then just tie the top to the bottom

another simple way, the way i used to make them, before i could sew was to just takke a square piece of fabric... and cut on one of the corners a slit. so that it makes two triangles... that way it's easy to just tie all corners. the other way is like the link someone else gave you. you use the same technique to make tie blankets to make them. you take two pieces of fabric... cut a bunch of |||||| line that look like htat.. you have to put the pieces on top of eachother and make cuts like that on top and bottom.. and then just tie the top to the bottom

I made my first two hammocks.
I'll post pictures later.
they are really simple, but they work :)

Back