Holy Almost Heart Attack for Us

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Not a real one, but close enough.

We live in the upper two storeys of a house, there is one other tenant in the house that lives on the main floor. My husband called me at work at 5:30 saying that the fire alarm was going off and he could smell smoke and that the other tenant wasn't home. I left work right away (I only live a two min drive away) and raced home, on the way I called our landlord as I didn't have the other tenants phone in my cell. On my way home I was thinking about the rats and wanting to get them out. I was so freaked out. Wayne called me back as the fire dept had shown up. It was just a pot left on the stove and only smoking. No damage done. Fortunately Wayne had been home, because left it could have been so much worse. The tenant put something frozen in a pot to defrost and had to leave and forgot about it. He feels really bad about it and is very shaken up. I told him that there was no damage so I was happy. Although it could have been worse.
When I got to Wayne and Esamae I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I was happy everything was good. The rats are good, they were a little spooked but the smoke didn't make it up to the top floor.

Thank goodness for small miracles.

This is my number one fear with living in a shared area, you can't control what others do! I felt at peace when I owned my own home, now this apartment scares me. I am SO happy you guys are safe!

Oh my, that is one huge heart attack for sure! Thank god every thing turned out good but the thought of what it could have been is so scary.

That would be scary. This got me thinking as to what would most of us do in a case there was a fire? Some of us have quite a few ratties. Does everyone have an emergency plan in place?
This is something I'm going to have to look for us that's for sure.

lindsayfawn said:
That would be scary. This got me thinking as to what would most of us do in a case there was a fire? Some of us have quite a few ratties. Does everyone have an emergency plan in place?
This is something I'm going to have to look for us that's for sure.

I have 3 carry cases ready for 3 cages. I won't have time to warm up the snuggle safe, but at least we will be out and safe :D Although appearantly it is safer for me to stay in my unit accordning to the fire department... I dunno tho... 25th floor? I cant even jump if i had to...

That would be a scary phone call to get! Glad everything turned out ok.

Unfortunately this happens far too often. Multiresidential dwellings sure have their disadvantages (and advantages too tho)

I am very glad to hear that everyone is safe and sound! :D That would definitely be a scary experience.

My sister went through something similar just a couple hours ago. She's staying in military housing (PMQ) with her 2 year old daughter, boyfriend, his mother and their 2 dogs while they wait for renovations to finish on their home. These PMQ's are essentially row housing.

Just a few hours ago, one electrical outlet in the bedroom appears to have experienced a massive power surge. The surge was so extreme it melted the power bar that was plugged into it - cutting it in two in just seconds - and filling the home with thick, billowing black smoke. Her boyfriend, who lost both legs in Afghanistan, and their 2 year old, were in the bedroom at the time.

My sister ripped the power cord out of the wall, as it was continuing to melt, and threw it outside. In doing so, she prevented the curtains, and anything else in the area, from catching fire. She then called 911. The hydro workers who were sent out admitted they had never seen a surge destroy a power bar like that.

Had my sister not been home, their unit probably would've caught fire and it's possible that the entire row of houses would've gone up in flames soon after. So, even though it was an extremely scary and traumatic situation, things would've been far worse had she not been there. In the same way, Wayne being home that day quite possibly saved your home too.

Kevin, that's exactly what I had said and what our landlord said to us as well. It's very lucky Wayne was home, because we wouldn't have been home for another hour. The tenant might have come home sooner, but lord knows.

It reminded me that my mom wanted me to come by with my camera to take pictures of everything in the house to record it all. It also reminded me that I want to make a list of most of the stuff we own so if something did happen we could easily use the list. Keep it on email or something.

It also made me very happy for tenants insurance. The last two places we rented we didn't have it, but now we do since we've lived here. We have our car and tenants insurance together so it only costs us $20 per month for it, which is well worth the money.

LA said:
It also made me very happy for tenants insurance. The last two places we rented we didn't have it, but now we do since we've lived here. We have our car and tenants insurance together so it only costs us $20 per month for it, which is well worth the money.

If you don't mind me asking, what insurance company do you use? I'm with the Co-Operators and I have my car and tenant insurance with them. I've been with them for over 10 years, never made a claim and have a perfect driving record, but I'm still paying twice as much as you for tenant insurance.

What insurance company are you with. Cooperators is a broker. I'm with Gore and I'm 5 star now. My car insurance is $180 per month. It's always good to shop around. But depending on where you live you get different rates. Big cities cost more then small little towns. I would assume if I moved WAY up north then it would cost even less LOL.

LA said:
What insurance company are you with. Cooperators is a broker.

Co-Operators is not a broker. I've been with them for 10 years and I've always considered them to be on the higher end of the price range.

LA said:
I'm with Gore and I'm 5 star now. My car insurance is $180 per month. It's always good to shop around. But depending on where you live you get different rates. Big cities cost more then small little towns. I would assume if I moved WAY up north then it would cost even less LOL.

I'm not familiar with Gore. To be honest, I've always been nervous at the prospect of changing insurance companies, even when I know I can save money, because I don't know if some companies make it harder to file a claim than others.

I'm paying about $95 a month for the car (a jump of $13 since last June with absolutely no explanation) and approximately $40 for tenant's insurance. From what I've been told, I have the second highest driver rating available -- apparently, I'm still too young to qualify for the Co-Operators highest rating.

In addition to where you live, the cost of your insurance is also determined by the car you drive. My car is supposedly more expensive to fix than other models, so I have to pay higher premiums.

Yes that is true. That's interesting about Cooperators. Because the one in our town is a broker. When I was looking into switching to them they could only put me with the same company (Echelon which is high risk because at the time I had an accident on my record).

I remember which I switched from my 1992 saturn to be 2002 chev venture my insurance went up high, it hurt. And on top of that it depended on whether my end of my van was longer or shorter, it was longer so it cost more. Stupid huh?

I'm glad to hear that you had a happy ending LA! :thumbup:

After comparing prices at InsuranceHotline.com I switched to Royal Bank insurance after many, many years with ING (now Intact). Since switching I'm now paying less for both my car and apartment insurance than I was paying for car insurance alone with ING.

I was paying $115 for car insurance and $26 for apartment insurance. Now I'm paying $84.40 for my car insurance and $14.23 for the apartment insurance. I couldn't believe what a difference it made in price when I decided to shop around!

LA said:
That's interesting about Cooperators. Because the one in our town is a broker.

I'm not sure how that works. I wonder if it's the same company or if they just share a similar name?

LA said:
I remember which I switched from my 1992 saturn to be 2002 chev venture my insurance went up high, it hurt. And on top of that it depended on whether my end of my van was longer or shorter, it was longer so it cost more. Stupid huh?

I have no doubt that I'm paying for more coverage than I need. I'm leasing my vehicle and the leasing company already provides some of the coverage that I'm paying the Co-Operators to provide. When I brought that up with the agent, she proceeded to tell me that it was a good idea to pay for all that coverage even if some of it was duplicated. I'm not sure I believe her, but I have to find all my paperwork to figure out who provides what and for how much before I make any changes.

MumsyRat said:
After comparing prices at InsuranceHotline.com I switched to Royal Bank insurance after many, many years with ING (now Intact). Since switching I'm now paying less for both my car and apartment insurance than I was paying for car insurance alone with ING.

I was paying $115 for car insurance and $26 for apartment insurance. Now I'm paying $84.40 for my car insurance and $14.23 for the apartment insurance. I couldn't believe what a difference it made in price when I decided to shop around!

My concern about switching companies is that I don't know if some of the cheaper companies are cheaper for a reason - i.e. they make filing for claims difficult, etc. Beyond paying my monthly premiums, I don't know much about insurance companies.

Mike and I thought we'd pay the little bit more and go with a broker since it seemed like a good idea to always talk to the same person, etc. Now we're getting fleeced on house insurance, and are actively shopping around. My '96 Ford Windstar costs me about $80 a month to insure regardless of which company I'm with.

Kev you can always check out redflagdeals forum. They have scams and info on companies.

I am with a broker, however I was not pleased with them. Long story short I did more work then my broker did back a year and a half ago. i was constantly checking up on him. I was going to switch this past summer, but didn't get to it soon enough. I'm in a year renewal now. So next year I am switching to another broker that I've heard good things about.

One broker in town tried to get me to come to them. At the time I had an accident my record and he kept saying 'I don't know why you are with a high risk company' even though I told him about my accident. So when my renewal was up I gave him a call and he told me flat out he couldn't do anything for me because of my accident. I LOST IT on him. Actually funny thing, day I started back at work he called me to see if he could get me to come over to them and I told him I would never be going to their company.

Back