Hognose snake

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

Girlfriend wants to get a hognose snake. My only objection to this was feeding. I see rodents as pets. I don't want to watch that snake eat them...
However my girlfriend discovered today that hognose snakes can eat toads. Most likely will have to special order them or raise them. But she'll turn them into pets if we raise them... So I'm thinking no...

They are cute snakes, but they don't belong in tanks. As much as I'm opposed to feeding live animals to snake (not just rats, toads & etc too), I'm much more opposed to keeping snakes as pets in the first place. They are not domesticated (unlike rats, cats and dogs), barely even tamed, and they are forced to live in tiny enclosures where most of them can't even completely spread out from one end to the other. That is just cruel. Maybe this would convince your girlfriend otherwise if you brought this up?

I agree mia9_28 snakes as pets is just unfair. They don't benefit from human contact like rats and other mammals. Its just unnatural for them to be in a tank and not be able to find proper heat sources and hideouts and over handling can cause our oils to build up and cause shedding problems

I have a Western hognose. Rescued and raised from a tiny hatchling. He hates me. :p He's a "look-at" pet; I rarely handle him except to make sure he's healthy. He's been raised in captivity and I don't think he could survive in the wilds... Never had to hunt for food before.

No. That part is true that they wouldn't survive in the wild from captive born. But its also not that much of a life when you think about it. Don't even have any natural instict left.

I agree with you both. I'm not really for having undomesticated animals as pets. If we did get one I'm gonna try and convince her to get one from a rescue. She has a Sulcata tortoise right now. And she handles him but only to bath and move him outside for sun bathing. Their not cuddle animals...
But I've at least convinced her that if we get any more tortoises they will be rescues. And she wants to have a rescue for tortoises with pyramid shells (happens with an improper diet and restricts movement) and that I'm totally fine with. But I totally agree with you guys. Thanks!

I'm totally for rescuing any animal including snakes as there isn't much you can do but help give them better living conditions.
I know a couple who rescue large snakes in the area...there isn't much they can do because despite being illegal they can't be moved to where they are legal cuz it's illegal to do so. They breed rats for feeding the snakes which tho it is not what we like to think of they CO2 them before feeding so they don't suffer and the snakes have to eat. And she doesn't support the mass producing of frozen feeders which goodness only knows how they actually do that. She also loves her rats and has many as just pets cuz she falls in love with many.
She is a good person and its hard for her everytime but the snakes are also her passion and in this area too many people somehow get ahold of these big snakes. :(
She's as close to a responsible at home breeder as you'll find.

Now, I'm both a rattie dad and a snake owner.

Snakes (and most reptiles in general) honestly I think make fantastic pets and are much more suited IMO than any mammal we keep, especially if you consider how busy most people are.
I think it's a common misconception that snakes want (and miss) having acres and acres to roam. It's anthropomorphism really.
Snakes are by and large ambush predators who basically want to be as energy efficient as possible. Ie. they stay in a hiding spot for the vast majority of their day, only leaving to find mates, food or water. If you provide them that in smaller quarters...then they legitimately don't move much at all.

Not that that's an excuse to cram a snake into a teeny enclosure, but they're not like rats or cats or dogs in that they don't really need or want to explore or wander or travel. The funny thing for me is that we keep highly intelligent, social animals who like and have instinctual needs to travel and roam and explore cooped up in our homes, often caged or alone for long periods yet we are outraged at keeping a sedentary ambush predator who only wants to move as much as it needs to assure it's survival needs in a cage.

As for 'fit to be a pet'....there are many definitions of what a pet is. People want different things out of the animals they keep with them. Like people who have pet fish for example---these are certainly not social nor cuddly, but that doesn't mean they aren't fit to be pets. Just different definitions of pet.

As per the snake feeding argument....I have fed both frozen and live rats to snakes. No...I'm not particularly fond of it (especially the live, but baby ball pythons are renown for starving themselves to death)...but these animals deserve to eat just as much as my pet rats do.
It is what it is, the circle of life and all that.

I have long thought CO2 to actually be the more inhumane method than (assuming a good hunter) letting nature take it's course. In a situation like that the quickest death is always preferable and for all it's 'kindness' CO2 is really slow, slow suffocation. I have witnessed both deaths and if it were me I'd take the snake any day.

I really want this convo to end here. Rat Shack has a no talk of reptile feeding rule. I don't want to remove this post until Grey Whisker's point has been made. But please no more mention of feeding reptiles.

Thank You Jorats. I don't want this to escalate. Its too touchy a subject on this forum. To each their own and opinions are just that..opinions which can never really be fought right or wrong.

Last edited:
No one mentioned that many prey animals are terrified by the presence of a snake, even if in a different room. We've seen it at the shelter where we can't control the species that come in and we're tight for space. Forget about how you feel about other rodents or other species, consider the wellbeing of your own companion rats.

No one mentioned that many prey animals are terrified by the presence of a snake, even if in a different room. We've seen it at the shelter where we can't control the species that come in and we're tight for space. Forget about how you feel about other rodents or other species, consider the wellbeing of your own companion rats.
Just being the devil's advocate here, but all my rats except one are very afraid of my cats. Does this make it wrong to have both cats and rats?

I don't know if it is wrong or not, but I have always been in the camp of choosing either prey or predators as pets, but not both.

I apologize for my breach of the rules, but my opinion still stands on the matter.
But I'll keep that in mind from now on, I am not used to a 'political' climate like this as it were.

As for stress on the rats, needless to say my home is also inhabited by a fair amount of creepy crawlies (tarantulas, scorpions and other arachnids), reptiles (both snakes and lizards) and a parrot.
Aside from when the parrot gets loud and upset...the rats are unphased by anything else reptile or not, whether in the room or not.
I would think, so long as proper safety precautions are taken...that 'mixed' households are not an issue.
Heck I've seen the parrot want to eat the ball python more than be afraid of him.

Sorry guys didn't mean to start a fight. Just thought this was interesting information.

And Grey I will never ever come over your house.... Arachnids are such a big no no for me.
However would love to see your parrot attempt to eat your python.... Thought parrots we herbivores?

I don't think it was a fight. I think most of us on this forum are very sensitive to the subject and like that we can come here and it isn't part of the discussion.

Steph---

Haha most people say that. Then when they come here the twenty tarantulas, the scorpions and vinegaroon are the first thing they want to see but spend the entire time (while they're staring at them) saying how horrified they are by the spiders. The bearded dragon is a lot like a small dog lol and likes to sit by the patio door when it's warm and watch stuff outside before he does his laps around the house and usually ends up asleep behind the TV stand--but everyone pets him when they come over. Snakes I find very calming to hold and fascinating to watch, but that's just me.

But no, actually most parrots eat some sort of insect/mollusk protein in the wild and some, like my Timneh African Grey, have been recorded feeding on carrion. Some species like Kea Parrots are known for eating small mammals, other birds/eggs/chicks and infamously biting fat off live sheep and most species will practice a form of 'birth control' and eat their eggs/babies if they decide it is not a safe/ok time to raise babies.

In captivity they often relish eggs, bones with marrow, lean meats and seafood---some will still eat insects. My grey is fond of chicken, eggs, salmon and she'll even eat ground pork or steak if you let her. She saves the bugs for the rats though lol.

Ball pythons are actually infamously known for being shy, picky feeders that imprint on only a couple food sources. Now...would I trust this 100% of course not and my critters or their stuff never mingle---but there's a good chance that the parrot would intimidate and then attack him. She has/is known for being very territorial towards other animals, other birds (she attempted to and almost killed a cockatiel and he was rehomed for his own safety---she managed to effectively pick the lock on her cage while I was away in order to get at him) and small kids (also something common in birds that most people don't know). If she'll go after 80 lb+ dog, any cat, bird or toddler or y'know....my 6 foot tall 240 lb male roommate (and she has---she decided he was standing too close to me and effectively beak punched him straight in the forehead a la 'shoulda had a V8' commercial)---the 3 lb snake is fair game.

Absolutely not pacifist peaceful herbivores at all lol.

Last edited:
Wow that is not a bird brained parrot at all! Got yourself a freaking guard dog in unexpected bird form...

As for your creepy crawlies I would probably stare at them. But from a safe 10+ ft away with escape routes mapped out. I like lizards and stuff. They're cool. A little unsure about holding them... And gecko eyes freak me out.

Imma stick with my furry whiskered 4 legged friends.

Reptiles are wild animals
They are captive or captive bred wild animals
They do not belong in captivity
Everything about owning them involves animal cruelty .... including keeping them in captivity

Reptiles can be rehabbed and then released into the wild in areas where they are indigenous

According to recent research and vets, there is absolutely no method to humanely kill small animals so that their bodies can be used as food.

IMO people who really care about snakes and other reptiles enjoy them in the wild, they do not confine them in captivity!!!

and people who really care about animals do not use animals as food

Back