Hoarding lab blocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now counting all the blocks I put in, and picking their stash apart and recounting them so I can monitor how many they ate, or whether they nibbled on one. Its very annoying but has to be done

:giggle:

Moon said:
Just because food gets stashed, that doesn't mean it's garbage (yes, even if it is stashed in the litter box, LOL) So what Joanne said. When you go to refill their bowl, make sure there isn't stashed food first

Well that's good to know. I always used to toss stashed food. I didn't even think about it, it was just a part of the cage cleaning routine. If it's mixed up with poo and has been in an area where they pee (ie everywhere) then it's garbage. Shake it all out into the trash. Especially the half-eaten ones.
I dunno though, my rats were really dirty in their FN. They used to poop EVERYWHERE, no "poo corner" for them. I tried litter training them. Ha.
But my current rats have a poop corner which is like some sort of revelation to me. I've no doubt I could litter train these two, and if they stashed their food I imagine it wouldn't seem so filthy. I guess it would be like that for any rats who have the good sense to poop in a corner and not all over the cage.

ratamataz said:
I dunno though, my rats were really dirty in their FN. They used to poop EVERYWHERE, no "poo corner" for them. I tried litter training them. Ha.
But my current rats have a poop corner which is like some sort of revelation to me. I've no doubt I could litter train these two, and if they stashed their food I imagine it wouldn't seem so filthy. I guess it would be like that for any rats who have the good sense to poop in a corner and not all over the cage.
The easiest way to start litter training them is to put a litter pan in every "poo corner". I would then pick up some of the poop and put it in the litter pan to scent it. I would keep a little dirty litter to put in the clean stuff until they have been using the litter pan for a while.
The pans don't have to be very big and I would chose something with sides no deeper than 1 - 1 1/2 inches so it's easy to get into.
Try it! My kids poop 90% in their litter pan and it keeps the cage cleaner just a little longer...

Joanne said:
ratamataz said:
The easiest way to start litter training them is to put a litter pan in every "poo corner". I would then pick up some of the poop and put it in the litter pan to scent it. I would keep a little dirty litter to put in the clean stuff until they have been using the litter pan for a while.
The pans don't have to be very big and I would chose something with sides no deeper than 1 - 1 1/2 inches so it's easy to get into.
Try it! My kids poop 90% in their litter pan and it keeps the cage cleaner just a little longer...

I've thought about it, but they are so good at pooping in the one corner it doesn't really seem necessary! :lol: They are the exact opposite of my past ratties. They don't even poop on their upper level, or in their hammocks, they actually go down to the bottom floor to do their business in the same corner... they're pretty amazing. I thought people were exaggerating when they talked about how their rats always poo in the corner until I got these two. :lol:

It's sort of funny how not one of my past 7 rats pooped in the corner. I used to watch them and monitor, and see if any little piles would form, even piles of just 3 or 4 turds to indicate that maybe one rat at least had gone in the corner, or if there was any sort of pattern at all. But it was like their poops were evenly dispersed throughout the whole FN... like someone had taken a handful of poops and sprinkled them evenly over the floors, levels, and in the hammocks. It was the weirdest thing.

Yeah, mine poop all over, I just suck them out with the vacuum hose every day or two. My problem I guess is that it's not entirely convenient to get my hands totally in the cage to root around in the bedding to look for food. I just sometimes notice a bunch when I change it. and almost every time I put them back in the cage after changing I see them start to dig all over, I presume looking for the stashed food.

Back