Hm

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess<3Rats

Right so the other night I let my two girls out for a run around my room and suddenly I heard this high pitched squeal. I turned to find Angela with a blooded up tail with a chunk missing out of it. To my suprise I came to realise that she had climbed on my gerbils cage and he had decided to sink his teeth into it. :?
Me and my two friends were running around like chickens trying to stop the blood from flowing but it would not stop!
In my distress I ran it under cold water like I would a cut but it made it worse and she ended up flicking blood allll around my bathroom and all over me :|
In the end we resorted to a plaster (not sure if it was the right thing to do) and today me and my mum eased the plaster off to reveal a nasty bite mark. Luckily the blood has stopped but the cut still looks quite open.
Does anyone know any good healing tricks or anything to stop it from getting infected?

Thanks xxx

Next time (well, next time bleeding won't stop-not likely this will happen again :p) grab some cornstarch or flour to stop the bleeding, or better yet, buy some quik-stop so you have it on hand.

You can put some polysporin or neosporin ointment on it to prevent infection, keep an eye on it for colour change and swelling...if this happens she may need antibiotics.

Most times these will heal all on their own. Cuddles for the owwwie. :heart:

Glad that your rattie is doing better today. :)

As you now know, rats do not mix with animals of other species.
You are fortunate that your rat didn't grab the gerbil through the bars and kill it.
Gerbils are seen as prey to rats and rats will kill them. Your gerbil was probably trying to protect itself.
Rats are either prey to other animals or see other animals as prey.

I would not keep rats and other animals in the same room.

Well my gerbil is normally in a small glass tank because he kicks sawdust EVERYWHERE and this reduces the mess. But last time I cleaned him I put him in a wire cage to give him some air and so I could give hims treats through the bars. My rats were not really bothered about him but as you say my gerby must of been petrified and defended himself.

Ill make sure not to do that again!

♥

Gerbils are very social.
Hope your gerbil has a same sex gerbil friend or two.
And a cage is a good idea, just make sure it is absolutely impossible for the rats to get anywhere near the gerbil .... regardless of what the gerbil is living in.

Don't mean to sound so :rant: about this ... I"ve just read of so many little pets being killed by pet rats because their owners didn't realise or didn't think their rats could get to the other pets. :sad3:

NezumiNeko said:
Actually my gerbils killed on another, but the ones at this one pet stores are sweet.

Yep...I did have two but the one I've got now killed the other :sad3:
It happened to two of my friends as well!
To be honest...I don't even believe they're sociable animals

Jess<3Rats said:
NezumiNeko said:
Actually my gerbils killed on another, but the ones at this one pet stores are sweet.

Yep...I did have two but the one I've got now killed the other :sad3:
It happened to two of my friends as well!
To be honest...I don't even believe they're sociable animals

But they are! :gaah: I think they're just crazy!

Back