Hind End Degeneration

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

Hansel looks like what is the beginning of hind end degeneration. He was an adult when I got him in June of 08 so I'm going with he's at least 2 years old if not more.
He drags his hind end sometimes but can still walk sometimes.
Do I need to be doing anything special for him. I know if it gets really bad, make him an old man home but I don't think he's at that point because he can still get in his hammock.

It can take several months before he's at the point for a nursing home. They adapt so well too.
It does stings the heart when you see them start it.

My old man Neville is well beyond two. I adopted him a few months back from HVRR and he was already showing some signs of HED. He kind of crawls and scoots, hurts the heart, but makes me smile that he manages so well still. He refuses to live in a retirement cage, wouldnt eat when I tried that *sigh* He does stay away from ladders and the bottom level of the FN. I just make sure he can get to water and I lay lab blocks out so he can much as he likes. Breakfast for him is served on the cage floor so he can just mosey over and gobble at ease :heart: I also check his "privates" :wink2: and make sure he is keeping clean, usually a warm washcloth does the trick and he appreciates the help (I love little old man kisses and bruxing!!!!!!!)

Is there nothing that can be done? Beauty is showing signs of HED as well. It's so heart breaking. I've moved things around the cage so that it is easier for her. All my rats are over the age of 2 or nearing it so I guess it doesn't hurt them to be in the newly-made retirement cage as well.

My boys adjusted really well to their HED and still motored around happily. They loved it when I scritched their backs/sides or ears for them though! I checked over their cage for any places where dragged toes/feet could get caught, covered ladders with fleece, widened them, and made inclines more gradual so they could haul themselves up with front paw power without falling off. I start to pay closer attention to nail length since the nails won't get worn down once the feetsies aren't being used and checked for penis plugs if it looked like there was any trouble grooming the nether regions (this stuff is probably awhile away yet). Check that he's got good access to food and water and that the water bottle isn't too high for him to reach.

I guess the catching of feet is the one I watched for most often. Even getting in and out of his travel crate recently Hobbes managed to catch his toes in a small hole in the front of the carrier that I hadn't noticed and I had to free him.

Back