Hi

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rae

Been looking around and this seems like a really nice place. :) My name's Rae or Rachel, don't mind either way.

I've been wanting rats for two years and have been researching during that time, and I'm considering going to FurrButt Farms (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY177.html) to rescue a few. Leaning towards a pair or trio of boys, but the girls there are gorgeous. I'd die for a hairless dumbo, haha. There's champagne hooded too, I love those. I'll probably just go there and see if any of them scream "Take me home!"

I own two dogs, Tess and Emma. Tess is older and Emma is a Humane Society Border Collie with severe hip dysplasia, she'll have her operation sometime near November. I don't think either of them will have trouble with rats, Emma especially, though Tess does dig up moles occasionally.

Figured I'd hang around here and learn some more and try to convince the parents to let me buy a cage and some rodents. Getting a bit closer to convincing them. :wink:

Welcome to the Shack...I know you will love it here.
Show you parents some of our really cute baby pictures...that will help convince them

Hi Rae! Welcome to the shack! It truly is excellent to research first, get set up and just sit back and wait for the right babies to come alone.

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm thinking of ordering a Martin's R680 (one of the more popular ones mentioned here) and possibly getting some Kim's Ark lab blocks. Is Kim's Ark a reliable place to order from? Amazon's about the only online shopping I do. :giggle: I've also heard a lot of rats don't eat blocks much, do these go over better than some other brands?

I'm also reading rats "shouldn't eat dog food" but I've heard Nutro Natural Choice Adult Lite (http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdry-lite.shtml) fits the protein and fat requirements, and saves me ordering online. I know a rattery that feeds this with no problems last I checked. (http://www.curiosityrats.com/index.html) I'm more acquainted with dog food ingredients and seeing as there are no byproducts or corn in the first few lines, it seems a pretty good option. Opinions?

And hopefully giving all these rat veggies will make me eat better myself. :roll: Excited to get to know everyone!

Kim's Ark is a very reliable online store.
The main problem with dog food is that it is not energy dense enough for rats not to mention it is definitely not formulated to meet the daily required nutrients for rats. I had my exotic vet and an animal nutritionist look into it for me. Rats will eat their blocks unless you offer them something else like the infamous suebee's mix which is packed full of sugar cereal and other stuff rats don't need but will gorge themselves on, which then creates a whole new set of problems like obesity.

Thanks for answering so quickly! Guess I may as well order blocks and bedding from Kim's at the same time then.

I have a litter question, but if you're tired of me don't worry about it, haha. When litter training, do you want to use the good litter in the box, or for the rest of the cage? I'm still trying to figure the whole idea out.

When my daughter and I adopted our first trio of baby boys first we tried lining the bottom of the cage with Carefresh, then we switched to aspen shavings and finally settled on fleece with Yesterday's News kitty litter just in the litter trays. We found that the boys' "toilet training" went right out the window when we used the Carefresh or the aspen. They're much cleaner with the fleece. It's almost like they began to view the bottom of the cage as one great big litterbox when the pan was covered in either Carefresh or aspen.

Hope that helps! And WELCOME to the Forum!

Thank you for the info! I think I might be able to get Yesterday's News at cost from my work, which would be awesome. I'll see about getting some fleece once I have my cage.

You guys are so friendly. :cuddle:

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're really doing your research, that's great! I look forward to all the pictures you are bound to share :wink2:

Back