Hi!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

I'm new, but this site has been really helpful so far! I do not own a rat at this time but have been wanting one for months now. Looking for breeders in Southern California isn't very tough, because there are a bunch of reputable ones, but it's difficult to find one with the perfect same sex pair. I've also considered a good Petsmart over here but they always only have one of a specific type (they don't just take in 10 rats in one tank just for sales). A pair from the same place would be nice because this quarantine thing is a little confusing.

1. If I got two ratties from the same tank at Petsmart, would I still have to separate them at first?
2. I've read a lot of articles on quarantine and I know the least amount of time should be 3 weeks to a month, but no one ever says if it has to do with going to the vet! Is it just separate air space that is needed or is it 3 weeks of medicine (if needed) and elimination of a spreadable disease that we're waiting on?
3. There's an adult blue rat at the store. Would it be okay if I just bought him only, since it is said that adult male rats should not be introduced to any other male rats? Or should I at least give it a try and get two?

I would appreciate the info! =]

Hey Audrey,

Welcome to the forum. You are correct, rats need a buddy.

The answer to your questions:
1. If you got two rats from the same tank, you would not have to seperate them.
2. Quarantine only applies if you have rats already and will be introducing the new ones into the same airspace/room as they are in. It isn't 3 weeks of medicine. I quarantine for 14 days, but others do shorter and longer.
3. If you want to get the adult, I would suggest that you also get two babies to go with him. It is much easier to introduce babies to an adult. One baby might work as well, but I would strongly advise getting him a friend. You may want to quarantine if they are coming from seperate places.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum, audrey. I hate doing intros so I would try to get two from the same tank. Quarantine is important if you already have rats or buy rats from a different place. You want to quarantine in a different room but there's no need for meds or a vet if they're not sick.
Hope you posts lots of pics when you get your sweeties.

Thanks guys, that's great. I'll wait until the store has two blue girls that I could pick up. Or if I'm lucky, a breeder will have some up for adoption.

I'll definetely post some pictures up too!

Hi audrey and welcome the Shack!

If these will be your very first rats, then I would suggest two young ones. Doing intros when you aren't sure yet of rattie body language, it might be a little hard. Plus, if you get two rats from the same place, you won't have to do a quarantine.
A vet visit is good if you are concerned or would like to get them checked out.

And don't discount babies that come from rescues or someone who needs to rehome an existing pair.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm picking these two siamese girls up next week!!!! I didn't know I would find an available litter from a breeder so soon, I'm lucky.

r76rdf.jpg

xkxfl5.jpg

=]

Back