hi! I'm new!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odduckOasis

Hello all. I'm Oasis. I just got a couple of rats recently, after years and years of thinking about getting them again, In finally decided to. =D I love em already and I've only had them for a few weeks. haha. They're so adorable. Still getting them use to the idea of play time now that I've got them buddied up (2nd one came a week after the first).

I'm probably going to set up a good play area in the bathroom, but I need to clean it and get my boys use to the idea of coming to me and going somewhere else to play. Where does everyone have a play area set up?

Glad to be here and hope that I can learn some good stuff to keep my babies happy. =)

Welcome! :)

Any area which is big enough for you to sit in and have lots of toys would be a great play area for them.

I use a hallway. Some people use their bathrooms and others buy coroplast and make a playpen out of that! :)

Hi and welcome!

I have my rats in their own room so they come out during out time.
RR1.jpg

Oh I forgot about a whole room dedcated to rats LOL ..I love your play area Jo!

I'd love to have a room for my guys, but my worry is they won't see enough people ..right now my guys live in the main area in the house (the living room) so they see people 24/7!

I live at my parents house in their basement, but me and my husband are there all the time and my mom comes down to do laundry. I'd keep them upstairs in my old room if I was in there, but alas. I would love to convert a room into a room for just them, since the house is my parents, I have to work with what I got. xD;; Hopefully I can get something set up that'll be good for them. =3

Nice to meet ya all! =D

Howdy! I don't have a rat room like Jo's (darn it) so, my babies get to run around the bathroom and all over me :wink2:

Sounds fun arresai. xD;; That's what I'll end up doing. The little table top their cage sits on is way too small for them to have any sort of fun. They still come out and explore, but a bigger room would be far more entertaining for sure.

Having a whole room for them would be cool, but not feasible at the moment. xD; Perhaps one day....

Haha oh god it's such a small world. I know you from another life :) I used to watch you on Deviant back when I was there, big fan of your anthro art. That's really funny.

Anyhoo, welcome to the shack! my boys currently get their out-time on my bed, but chewed sheets and the occasional raisin-in-your-pillowcase is making that seem less good of an option. What I plan to do when I find the right table, is get a big folding table like the kind you'd have in a store or whatever that you set up for events and put all their toys and such on that, then have the cage open up directly onto the table. I also want to buy one of the Martin's playpens so they can have some more not-quite-supervised playtime while I'm writing or doing chores.

I let my girls free range in my room, I just pick up everything off the floor and put up a cardboard barrier in front of my closet. They have access to my dresser, my bed, and my floor. My desk and my closet area are off limits, so that's where I put anything I don't want them to get into. Lately I've been bringing them in when I go to bed so they can run around for the whole night. Luckily my girls are great about using the litter box and not chewing.

P.S. Ever since I started having out time in my room, it's been so much easier to keep it clean, now that I actually have a reason to tidy it up everyday.

Spork said:
P.S. Ever since I started having out time in my room, it's been so much easier to keep it clean, now that I actually have a reason to tidy it up everyday.

Same here. I had them in our son's room up until just a few weeks ago. They had a blast running all over the place, climbing anything and everything. His room was the cleanest in the house. But, after some chewed sheets, numerous chewed pencils, and son wanting him desk off limits, it was easier to put them in the spare room. :D

Having to make a barricade now though because they've started chewing the cedar chest hubby's grandfather made him. :shock: Not good. Also, they love to climb the book shelf and I'm worried they'll get hurt.

I take them into the bathroom with me when I'm having a shower. They climb along the edge of the tub and I figure it washes their feet. :wink2: One of them is quite brave and will stick her head under the water for a bit. :)

They are also allowed in the hallway, and for a treat, they get to wander downstairs in the living room for a short time... like going to the mall for the. :laugh4:

edited to say... :wel5: :mrgreen:

odduckOasis said:
Hello all. I'm Oasis. I just got a couple of rats recently, after years and years of thinking about getting them again, In finally decided to. =D I love em already and I've only had them for a few weeks. haha. They're so adorable. Still getting them use to the idea of play time now that I've got them buddied up (2nd one came a week after the first).

I'm probably going to set up a good play area in the bathroom, but I need to clean it and get my boys use to the idea of coming to me and going somewhere else to play. Where does everyone have a play area set up?

Glad to be here and hope that I can learn some good stuff to keep my babies happy. =)

:welcome: to the RatShack!!!! :flowers4U:

You're in the right place!!! Great to have you here!!! :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

@Spork
Ha, yeah... there's a bit too much crap in our room for me to easily clear it so they could run around. Also, I'm afraid of them chewing the carpet, it's shag and already falling apart in places. xD; I'll figure out something! haha.

@smmmiley
Haha, that's funny! xD Gona try to intro my guys into more water stuff, helps them get clean and what not. Or... cleaner since they're groomers and all. lol.

@jennifervb, those dancing rattie icons are so cute! xDD

Thanks Roo! I love your icon btw. xDD

Back