Hi ! im a girl from Denmark and i love rats !!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanneDK

Hello !! :D

My name is Sanne, Im from Denmark - if you know where it is :wink2:

We have a website like this one .. And im curious about how you keep your rats and what rules you have about breeding and general rat things .. We have rules about the age of the rats when the are breeding and how many times they may have babies .. so i would like to know that your rules are about things like that ..
I have 4 girls, 2 husky and 2 russian blue, and im soon getting a siamese pointed, a american sliver and a American blue berkshire doublerex - only girls :lol: :heart: you can see them at my website http://www.Flatbeat.org under " Billeder af rotterne" ( its on danish )
just ask me if anything will know about me or my rats
im sorry if my english is a bit bad .. but I would love to be addressed in my English..

Hi and welcome to the shack!
Unfortunately, you won't find very many breeders on this forum, we mostly advocate rescuing.
I don't think in Canada nor the US have any one set of rules about breeding. Each person has their ideas. Some are frowned upon but nothing more. We also have very many backyard breeders, the kind that don't care about age, the pedigree, the numbers of litters. We try and educate them though.
My personal opinion on breeding is the female should be about 7 to 8 months old. The male should be over 12 months old. The female shouldn't be bred more than twice. The rats should come from a good strong line of rats. Health should be the only reason to breed. Back in 2004, I was all set up to be a rattery and breed rats. But that's when I found that there are far too many rats in shelters or abandoned so instead of breeding, I started rescuing.
I checked the site... oh my the rats are beautiful!!!

I also thought we might buy or sell rats through this page. In our rat's website, there are rules which the Forum has made if the sale must go through the Forum,
male rats must be filled 1 year by mating.
male rats should weigh at least 400kilogams (preferably 500kilogams)
male rats should not fathers more than 5 litters (preferably not more than 3 litters)
Female rats are at least 6 months, and max. be filled 10 months at 1st mating.
Female rats should weigh at least 250 kilogams (preferably 300 kilogams)
Female rats to have a break of at least 2 months from weaning to the next mating.
Female rats should not get more than 2 litters in her lifetime.

if you do not follow these rules, you can not use the website for Breeding and selling ..
Here in Denmark we have not so many rats or animals that need to be rescued .. we are a very small country, but sometimes here comes a post, recently, we had 70 guinea pigs were rescued from a house where they were met within 20 guinea pigs in each cage - in very small cages, live in its own filth.. :( We have no animal police, like you have. but there is a shift in the collection started, for there were more and more cases, with abused animals, so we need animal police !!!

Wow I did not know that there are no animal police in Denmark, that's amazing. I like the breeding rules your forum there has breeding might be better here if there were rules like those set out.

Your forum rules don't mention anything about pedigree? Breeding pet store rats is ok?

As for my forum, we don't allow the advertisement and sale of rats if the breeding was intentional.
We allow accidental litters, shelters or classifieds. Unlike you, we have thousands of rats needing good homes. :(
Oh and our animal laws are not all that great either. :(

Back