Hi From TX!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodi

I live in SW TX (between Austin and San Antonio) and will soon be getting back into the world of rats. I took a short break after my recent pair (females, named Jupiter and Io) died at the end of last year.

Right now I have a pair of geriatric male mice named Bernie and Gunther. Both of them are starting to have health issues and, sadly, neither will be with me for much longer. I've decided after they're gone to get back into rats and this time I'm going to try and find a breeder or rescue. My last two came from PetSmart and this time I want to get younger and, hopefully, healthier animals . I'm also planning on getting males, since I've heard they are calmer and more "cuddly" then females.

Howdy & welcome! I second Jo's comment - are you near Central Texas Rat Rescue? This community supports adopting from rescue 100%!
Hope to see some pics of your sweet old mouse boys, too :)

I'm almost 65 miles away from Austin, so I'm near them. I've looked at their site, but they want pictures of your cage and mine is home made (large dog crate like this (not that EXACT one, but similar) that is wrapped with chicken wire, the "door" wrapped closed and the top of the cage being used as the door (easier to reach in/clean), I'm going to add ramps, climbing things, toys, etc to it) and I'm not sure they'd approve of it. Since it's not a Martin's or a "known" cage brand.

Here's a pic of my late Jupiter, Io looked the same.
14807182228_81bec03ae0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people cover their cages with hardwire cloth to keep small females from squeezing out! And lots of people make "Franken-cages" out of old bird habitats and such. I think it is more important that it is clean and safe for them. :) I don't think they would shoot you down without trying to work something out.

Very pretty little girl.
I would still give CTRR a try. They are very nice and can help you and homemade cages are very common.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've volunteered at several rescues (dog/cat and a horse one) and they were so strict about things that they could be scary at times. "If you don't use X brand leash on Fido you're a puppy killing monster!" "If you don't use X brand saddle on Prancer you're going to make him swaybacked!" , etc, etc. I've also seen people being denied animals due to things that don't even make sense! So I'm sort of leery of rescues.

Right now they only have one rat (a male over a year old) and I'm looking for younger males right now, but I will keep an eye on their FB account and Pet finder. I'm also daily checking Craigslist to see if someone has any that need a new home.

:welcome: We had only boys for quite some time and I can tell you they are lazy slugs.. but throw girls in OMG, what nut cases... but fun to watch and so sweet....

Back