Hi Everybody!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello...my name is Becca and I'm proud mom to Cyclops and Benji. They are two beautiful, hairless rats (they are girls, even though most people think they are boys when I say their names...) I have had my Angels for about a year and a half. Benji and Cy have both recently had mammary tumors removed and have been spayed. Surgery went great for both of them and recovery was surprisingly fast, especially for Cy.

It's great to know a forum like this exists, to meet other rat lovers and for advice. Benji and Cy have had various health issues and since this is my first time owning rats, it can be difficult.

Look forward to meeting everybody!

Welcome to the Shack!! Your girls are so lucky you went ahead and had them spayed as well. Was your vet recommending this? Often times, I see vets not advising a spay claiming it's only beneficial if the rat is very young. For me, I have experienced that a spay is beneficial at all ages.

jorats said:
Welcome to the Shack!! Your girls are so lucky you went ahead and had them spayed as well. Was your vet recommending this? Often times, I see vets not advising a spay claiming it's only beneficial if the rat is very young. For me, I have experienced that a spay is beneficial at all ages.

Thanks! My vet did recommend the spay, because she felt that it would reduce the risk of them getting another tumor...and she told me since they were under the anesthesia for the tumor removal already, the spay was worth it. I was so worried about them, but I have a very talented vet who is skilled with rats. I actually noticed Cy's tumor not long after Benji got hers removed. I am definitely happy with my decision :)

Back