hey

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachcomber

So i was refered to this forum by a member on another forum I frequent.
I'm 23, live on vancouver Island. I had mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, and a rat when I was growing up so not totally new to the rodent thing. I was however ignorent on the care of them at the time though. My first rat was a female beige hooded that I got from the local petstore when my sister got a hampster. She was an awesome little rat, but passed away after maybe 4 months from the time she came home with me :(

Currently for pets i have 3 kittens, 4 ferrets(all rescued from bad homes), 13 sheep, and a 2 year old appaloosa filly I bought from the auction(outbid the meat buyer at $75 :thumbup: )

My rat? I'm picking up 2 baby girls from a local breeder on tuesday :dance: I know this is a rescue oriented forum, but I couldn't find any local rats to adopt at the time I started looking, and I had no intention of going to the petstores again :redhot:

Pictures were taken at 2 weeks by the breeder :heart:

This is Harmony an American blue varigated dumbo

EVRChorus.jpg

And Chorus an American blue capped

EVRHarmony.jpg

Hi there! I am from Vancouver Island as well! I'm in Nanaimo, you? Those pics look like Evergreen rats. Is that so? I have two girls from her right now! They are great rats.

I might consider LMR in the future... but I am not sure if they have people over here that would do a home visit, or if someone has to come out especially for it... and I am not sure if I would spend an additional $20 on the (departure to horseshoe) ferry to pick up.

zenia wulfe said:
Hi there! I am from Vancouver Island as well! I'm in Nanaimo, you? Those pics look like Evergreen rats. Is that so? I have two girls from her right now! They are great rats.

I might consider LMR in the future...

Glad to see you are thinking of rescues! :heart: With rats, you can never have just one, or two, or three. I started out with just 2, only 2 was my limit. I now have 9.

And same for you original poster! Welcome! Your babies look some sweet. I love dumbos. Be sure to check out LMR, as you too will eventually add to your brood lol

Glad to have you here!

PitLuvs said:
Glad to see you are thinking of rescues! :heart: With rats, you can never have just one, or two, or three. I started out with just 2, only 2 was my limit. I now have 9.
Yeah, the most I have had at one time is 6. I have 5 right now. One is a rescue (from the Idaho 75) and, well I consider two of the others kind of a rescue. GGMR is strong with me, so I really have to force myself to say no more, plus my roomie wouldn't like me to have more. But when the time comes... :D

Thanks! I can't wait to pick them up, still have to get their cage all set up and cover it in hardware cloth :panic:

I started with 1 ferret. that turned into 2, then 3, then 5, and started with 1 horse, that turned into 2, then 5....I'm bad for the ones that need rescuing, I have no doubt I'll have cages full of rescue ratties in no time :laugh4:

i'm from Nanaimo too, and yes they are Evergreen babies :thumbup:

So I picked them up yesterday! :joy:

I ended up coming home with a third girl (and it begins) :laugh4: . She was from a seperate litter born on the same day, and actually one that i had originally wanted before someone reserved her then backed out. Also turns out that the little capped girl is actually a different capped girl, and she's a runt! I could have swapped her for the one I should have got but she's the friendliest of the three, so I can't give her up now :heart:

They need new names though...help? :wallbang:

So this is "harmony" the only one that was actually supposed to come home with me lol

DSC_0333.jpg

Better body pic

DSC_0340.jpg

The one that was supposed to be "Chorus"

DSC_0327.jpg

"Tango"

DSC_0335.jpg

"Tango" enjoying a Vector flake so she'd sit still

DSC_0341.jpg

"Tango" and "Chorus" just for a bit of a size comparison.

DSC_0338.jpg

Wow, your ratties are stunning! I am from Victoria BC but then moved to Parry SOund 3 years ago. Was able to sell my house in an inflated market and buy outright here. I miss Victoria only for the restaurants and shopping! Thank God I can cook and internet shop here at least.
Welcome to the Rat Shack.

Back