Hey everyone, Im new here!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ema-leigh

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to the wonderful world of rats. I am an active member of ratforum.com but have joined this one also to further my knowledge and hopefully this forum will turn out to be a little bit more active than Ratforum.

My name is Ema-leigh (pronounced Emily) I am almost 20 years old and at current I am owned by 6 rats. Origionally I am from England but I emigrated to Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada almost three years ago now. I am a BIG animal lover and I also train horses and dogs. As far as education goes, I have graduated from both school and college - my chosen degree being a National Diploma in Equine Studies.

My rat story began with two petstore rats. A black berkshire and a hairless. I 'rescued' them from a feeder bin and had my heart broken twice, when the hairless passed away two weeks later and then 5 months later the other guy for no apparent reason. After this I did alot more research and learned the horrible truth about petstore rats. I searched for a responsible breeder in my area and after a LONG and grueling search I managed to find a wonderful lady who had been breeding rats for quite some time and was retiring. I went to go see the rats, and was impressed by their temperment, living conditions and health. You could SEE the quality difference and she clearly spoiled them. She kept a pedigree, with lots of photographs, vet notes and her own notes. I was impressed by her record keeping, and she explained to me the importance of it. I took note of color/health history of both rats so I knew where my guys were coming from. The rats I ended up adopting from her were Buck and Lucy (both I still have today). I took a male and female because I had two large cages and was planning on getting two additional rats from another breeder the very same day - who turned out to be a BYB so I was left with two single different gender rats. I knew rats had to have company, but they had to be quarentined anyway so I still had time to find them friends.
While showing off my rats to a friend she got really excited and insisted I come and check out her rats as she had some babies she wanted to show off. I agreed, although I was skeptical as I wanted really good quality rats. What I saw amazed me. She had about 20 rats who had a bedroom to themselves, decorated with ratty wallpaper + accesories. She also had a humidifier in two huge enclosures that looked like so much fun. She opened one cage and they all came running to her, some sitting on her shoulder. We gossiped for hours and hours about all things ratty. And I learned that she bred her own rats once every few years and kept every single baby for herself! The rats were gorgeous, himalayans, siamese, dilutes, blues even some dumbos. They were evidentally well taken care of and appeared in good health. So I did a little more digging, she did keep a family tree but it was a name only basis and any medical notes. One paticular dumbo girl caught my eye. She was an adorable albino with what I thought was a newspaper smudge on her nose (she turned out to be a dilute himalyan! and that newspaper smudge is now three times the size :D) Anyways she was able to let me see and hold Stella's sisters (it was a 7 girl litter), mom, dad, grandparents and a great great grandmother who has over 4 years old! I was smitten and just had to have one of her rats. I learned alot from her with regards to caring for rats. They need large enclosures, large groups and stuff to do as well as the regular pet stuff such as being outside, playtime, bathtime and all that good stuff.
Stella came home with me when she was ready, was quarentined and then joined Lucy. They are best friends now, and Stella is the alpha even though she is a bit smaller and doesnt see as good... I think Lucy could easily dominate her but shes so kind a real mother figure.
Unfortuently I still couldnt find a suitable boy for Buck, I kept looking for rescues and when one cropped up he attacked other rats but was super friendly with people... I bought my cousin back and she adopted him the very same day, as I couldnt leave such a sweet creature to spend another night in a shelter he was only 2 months old. Newfie as she called him, turned out to have myco and he sadly passed away fairly quickly.
I was still looking for rescues and found a sweet little neutered boy, who was healthy and friendly. For some reason I didnt even think to sex the rat myself as I was getting him from the SPCA but Wilbur turned out to be a Winnifred. And Buck turned out to be highly fertile, we had an opps litter on our hands. I decieded to keep Whinny and her bubs and I found raising them to be so rewarding. Fortuently they were all healthy, and I placed them all with family members so I can still see the regularly and they are all doing great. (When the time come I knew I couldnt bare giving them away and never seeing them again and not knowing what happens to them.) I was planning on keeping one from the litter for Buck but we got all girls! (Poor Buck - thankfully I work from home so he became my shoulder warmer and even slept in my bed with me!)
Whinny went into quarentine so she could be placed with my other two does, but she kept getting URI's and eventually the treatment just stopped working and it progressed into Pneuomia (sp?) We let her go to sleep when the time came :(
I took Whinnys death hard, my attempts to rescue and save lives just kept meaning that I was adopting unwanted petstore rats with huge medical bills and risking the health of my healthy guys. I continued to rescue another male regardless, but he had seizures and I found him dead in quarentine in a pool of blood :(
I started looking for a breeder again, as I knew I couldnt keep taking all these deaths but couldnt find anyone who followed a set of ethics that I was comftable with. I hate linebreeding and I was suprised how many 'reputable' ratterys did it.
After explaining my situation to a friend she said.. 'Why dont you just breed Buck and Lucy?' I couldnt believe I hadnt thought of this before. I took an a long time to gather as much research as I could. I had bred horses before and dogs so I did have an understanding of genetics and whelping and such. I took peoples names on waiting lists who wanted a baby so I could be sure I had great homes lined up for them.
Long story short... we had a beautiful healthy litter of 12 and I kept a platnuim male (Finnigan), a black berkshire male (Oliver) and a black hooded dumbo female (Firkin')

So I do breed my rats occasionally but on a very small scale and I follow my own very strict breeding ethics as well as a very high standard of care for all my ratties. They are the greatest pet on earth I think and I hope to better the species, but also the experience of owning a rat for many people. Right now I am the only ethical breeder I can find in BC who isnt using pet store stock. I am not registered and I do not show - I just have no interest in doing so. :stickpoke:

Heres some pics:

My lovely boy TR Buck
DSCF7766.JPG

This is the beautiful TR Stella
DSCF7871.JPG

TR Finnigan my platnuim
dscf7756t.jpg

TR Oliver..
DSCF7884.JPG

TR Lucy
DSCF7911.JPG

DSCF7922.JPG

No offense but you honestly shouldn't be breeding. If you'd looked into this fully and got good healthy 'breeding' rats you would not still have your first pair of rats and still know so little about your rats. Any responsiable breeder would have a website with details of their rats, lists of the males and females, even tables showing the genetics and family trees etc (hard to explain, but you can insert them into their website). What exactly are you breeding for? What are you going to achieve from that?

Chelle pointed out to me that your website contains a stolen photograph.

The last image on this page: http://www.webspawner.com/users/rattery ... index.html is of Bug. A very famous ratty indeed, which makes it obvious that it does not belong to you. This is thievery, as nowhere does it credit who the photograph was taken by, and there is no proof that you were given permission to use the image.

As an artist, this bothers me greatly. If I discovered someone stealing my artwork I would politely request it be removed from whatever use they were using it for. If they did not, I would then hire a lawyer.

Please remove this image and use one of your own, or if you have permission to use it, please show proof of consent and credit to the artist.

ETA: The original artist is Jessica Florence! Just so that nobody thinks I'm nuts :D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... rence.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/necilbug/s ... 088048834/

Welcome to the forum, its a great place! Do not get thrown off by the ppl who do not like that you are breeding. This is a rescue based forum so many of us do not believe in breeding at all because of the amount of already homeless ratties.

I've seen the cage pic before also.... although I doubt using that pic is a problem, credit should probably be given appropriately. You're also not hosting the pictures on your own, which is a big no no. Hotlinking is very bad form via interwebs!

That said, welcome to the forum! It's a very active one and there's lots to learn.

Apologies that I am just replying now. Thanks to everyone who welcomed me and said I had beautiful rats, thank you very much.

I understand this is a rescue forum, I have no intention to advertise my stock.. just to talk rats, share info and learn new stuff.

And actually yes, I do own every rat on my website under bucks and does. The flew the nest page obviously is rats that I have bred that have already been adopted out.

If I am stealing an image I really wasnt aware. Im relativly new to making my own website and understanding what should be done etc. I searched on google for an image and then place it as its way faster than uploading it myself. I used webs.com
I beleived that all images on google were stuff I was able to use. I thought it was in the terms and conditions simular to how facebook and myspace does it. This was my mistake. But I have no stolen pics and claim they are my own

FYI no actually hes definatly a platnuim, and no they are definatly russian blue. My camera used is pretty crappy - Ive only just realised that if i take pics outside then they show real colors alot better. Im well aware that Finnigan looks beige in pictures.... you'd eat your own words if you seen them in real life. Maybe I'll do that today :)

Also the salt rock was used for a day only as a suppliment to a certain rat (not from my breeding stock) who had been fed a diet of vegetables only. It was vet recommended, and then the salt was thrown out afterwards. No harm done.

As for the comment that my russian blues are mink haha. NO.
A mink is a mid gray brown.

Im not stupid. Wow your childish to take EVERY oppertunity you can to flame me just beause I disagreed with one of your bum chums letting a runt die because 'nature will take its course' THATS IT. Grow up and get over it already please.

ema-leigh said:
Also the salt rock was used for a day only as a suppliment to a certain rat (not from my breeding stock) who had been fed a diet of vegetables only. It was vet recommended, and then the salt was thrown out afterwards. No harm done.

Your website specifically says this:

Dog food is a great addition to your rats diet. Salt blocks should always be provided and not in a flavoured variety

It implies it is ok for every rat, if you mean for it not to then you should probably edit it.

Also, just because we're calling you wrong doesn't mean we're attacking you for disagreeing with a member. It means we (I use the royal we) think you're wrong with regards to something. I apologize if it comes across as any other way.

The common thing about this forum is that we all love rats.
People are going to come to the forum from varying backgrounds - newbies, long-time owners and fans who did a random internet search, well-intentioned breeders, etc.
If our goal is education, then we have to gently nudge people who join the forum into considering our common philosophy (anti-breeding, anti-live feeding, etc.) and show them through example, empirical evidence, logic, and anecdotes (which the board has aplenty).
I mean people who care enough to join a forum dedicated to rats obviously have some very positive qualities :)
Perhaps we are too harsh when we jump on new members who have been breeding. I do not believe in BYB, don't get me wrong.
But personally, I think we should welcome them, admire their beautiful rats, engage them in topics of common interest and let them see for themselves that established members of this board promote a celebration and love of rats that does not include breeding for profit or self-interest. I think they will see very quickly that, if their main interest is business or "genetics", this board is not for them.
Let's educate instead of alienate.
Perhaps I am misguided, but I think we should be friendly and supportive to new members regardless of initial intent, and save our critical zeal for those idiots who make stupid claims and posts on Kijiji, and uneducated pet store staff, and things like that.

I agree, its obvious everyone here love and cares for their rats as much as possible. Im here to make friends and learn new stuff... for them! Heres to hoping we can all form some sort of friendship in the future.

And thanks for bringing that to my attention, it must of been a typo of some sort. Our diet section is on a seperate page and I must not of edited that bit properly. This is my first website I have ran - its hard to keep on top of every page. No idea how some people can manage a whole forum like this..?!?!

I do think people did overreact a bit to be honest. All that ema did was state her own opinion, and it was taken the totally wrong way by some members.

Back