Hestia June 2005 to August 4, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Hestia and her sister Ceres were supposed to be older rats at a rat intolerant shelter that were supposed to be pts since they had nipped someone. I went down there with a woman I met on a rescue forum. Found two 5 month old girls in a teeny tiny hammy cage, seed mix on the floor with a sipper tube that had fallen down.

Of course I brought them home with me.

So much for the gratitude of shelter rats! These 2 just ignored me for 7 months, it was like I didn’t exist, and we had a bit of an uneasy existence as they were very aggressive with other rats and during a neutral intro they attacked 4 other rats in less than a minute. These sisters didn’t broadcast their intentions, no poufy fur, etc…just attack, slash and retreat, just like a wolf pack. After this they got the nickname the Wolves.
Then one day I saw a little gleam in an eye and they really started to “notice” me. :lol:

After that I became part of their little world. Hestia’s sister Ceres had a horrible tumour removal at 16 months, and then 2 months later I lost her within 48 hours to PT (pituitary tumour). She is the reason I started spaying. If something was going to help then I was going to try it!

Hestia ended up living on her own, sadly, since she would accept no one else, and the bloodshed was just too much. She softened even more to me and we had a lovely relationship. Unusually for a girl she developed spinal nerve degeneration but that didn’t stop my little Wolfy Dynamo! She could still climb and clamber somehow. She then developed 2 small mammary tumours, one inguinal (groin) and one near her armpit. They grew very very slowly so I thought we had a lot of time left together. Nope. The armpit tumour ulcerated and we have had a battle with baytril and metacam for pain for the past few weeks. Her spirits have remained high, and if you could ask her she would insist she was just fine, that she was not ill, and “watch me climb this…see I am fine!!!”

Last night Hestia’s body finally started failing her indomitable spirit. Today I called my 2nd vet and they fit her appointment in. We got to sit in the exam room for quite a while. She groomed herself for awhile, with me bracing her, she got her ear rubs (itchy ears when you can’t scratch your own), and scratches. For that I got licked and groomed and she finally did something she has never done for me. She bruxed and boggled happily. With the tiny little swallows in between and the half closed eyes. I think she knew what I was doing and was letting me know it was okay. :heart:

Hestia just home
Hestiastartledwhenfirsthome.jpg

Hestia grown up
Hestia.jpg

Take that you ebil grass!!
HestiaonetheWolves.jpg

Hestia in the Christmas Tree
HestiachecksoutRatsko.jpg

Me? In the garbage?? What ARE you talking about?
Hestiasinthegarbage.jpg

Running around her new cage, now that’s a long tongue
Hestiahasalongtonguetoo.jpg

A momentary cuddle into Mom’s hand while out exploring
HestiaJuly8.jpg

My
SleepingHestia.jpg

And a dark video of her taken 6 days ago. My happy little girl is now at peace and has a healthy body that does what she wants. She really didn’t take aging well at all. :tantrum:

:cry: I'm so sorry.
What a precious beautiful special girl she was.
I'm so glad she gave you that final gift before she went to heaven, I hope it helps you to remember her that way while you go thru your grieving.

Hugs to you.

Run free little angel.

I'm so sorry Shelagh! I know this was a tough one. Hestia's indomitable spirit has inspired everyone who knew her. She was never one to dwell on things she couldn't change. Try to take comfort in knowing that Hestia went on to the next world without even skipping a beat. When I asked her how she was she always told me "I'm fine!" like what was our problem anyway? Why did we keep asking her that? No matter what, she remained positive to the end and beyond. She's an inspiration on how to live our lives and how to go on to the next. When I asked her this afternoon how she was, even after she passed, she said as always, "I'm fine." There was a different tone this time though, one of peace and acceptance. No doubt she's up there with her sister, chasing everyone around. Hugs to you and your ratties!

Obviously for me most of it's your sharing of Hestia, her personality and her pictures.... And a good part too that she was so beautiful, I don't mean her markings, I mean her eyes.... But she really touched me.
I'm glad I 'met' her.
And I send continued hopes that your grief will work itself thru to righteous pride & gratitude.

Hugs, Hestia's Mom.

I'm sorry you had to let her go, Shelagh, but I'm glad that she finally let you let her go!

*hug*

moon said:
I'm sorry you had to let her go, but I'm glad that she finally let you let her go!
Those words should be in a sticky in this section of the site - for all of us who ache to hold onto a kid who might be holding on out of love for us..

Hestia is dearly missed. It's always the fiesty ones that really get me, Mia was the same way.....very wolfish, but once she decided to notice the humans in her life it was love.

((((Shelagh))))

I'm so sorry, Shelagh. :cries: You gave Hestia a beautiful life with your love.:heart:
And what a lovely rat she was. I'll miss her beautiful pics.

Back