He's dying on me...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argent

I'm at a total loss for what to do!

Joey can't use his legs at all, he's tilting badly to one side (which he's almost always done but not to this extent), there's lumps prominent below his ear and now he's drooling...he has no control over his mouth now, is this the final evil stage of pt? What can I do!? Please help...

Argent said:
I'm at a total loss for what to do!

Joey can't use his legs at all, he's tilting badly to one side (which he's almost always done but not to this extent), there's lumps prominent below his ear and now he's drooling...he has no control over his mouth now, is this the final evil stage of pt? What can I do!? Please help...

Is he in pain and unhappy? Or is he still trying to fight along?

If he's the former I would have him pts. The lumps under his ear could be different things, you only know its PT from the symptoms you cannot see the lump on his pituitary gland.

well today he just looks like he's struggling...like he doesn't know what the hell's up with his body and why it won't work...looks like I will have to say goodbye...

I am very sorry ...
If you are having him pts, please stay with him and please make sure the vet knows how to humanely pts a rattie.

No needle to the heart for a conscious rat, etc.

I'm so sorry Argent, :tearful:

Making the decision to help can be one of the most painful decisions we can make. I've been there and know how it feels.

What is most important is that we not allow our babies to suffer. Sometimes that means having to let them go to the bridge.

I hope that your vet is experienced with euthanasia. My vet put Jerry to sleep and then tapped the corners of his eyes to make sure that there was absolutely no reflex before giving him the injection. I was with Jerry when he died, on June 18, 2007, and I still grieve terribly over my boy.

I take comfort in the fact that he knew how much I loved him and that my vet was so good in her treatment of him.

Joey's body is no longer there to hold but if you close your eyes, you can cuddle his soul with yours. Our babies know how much we love them and they will carry that with them always. :love6:

thanks everyone....I've been back from the vets a short while now...and.while I couldn't bring myself to go any further than the waiting room, my mum took him in, and they put him in a gas chamber so he was asleep before they did it...

I'd been so worried that I had let Axel go too soon, that I didn't want to make the same mistake with Joey, nor prolong his pain, and his symptoms only worsened today, I think I was right on time

I'll miss both my boys so much but at least now they have each other and I still feel very much connected to them...
When I get back home onto my own computer I'll put together a proper memorial post for him, but thanks again for your kind words...

I'm sorry about your boys, Argent. The toughest part is always deciding exactly when the time has come.....we all want them to be with us forever....we also never want them to suffer.

I always liked your signature with your two beautiful Himmie boys. You were fortunate to have had them in your life.

:hugs:

Hugs from me and my rattakisses :hugs: It is never easy to do what is your final gift to your ratty.....To be free of pain. The hard part is for you left behind to grieve. I put down my Butter Bean 4 months ago and I held baby Onion 3 days ago when he went to be with Butter at the Rainbow Bridge. I never gets easier but think of how empty your life would be with out your rattakisses to love and to love you back. It's worth every min of it. :tumkiss:

Unnie :heart:

omg i am soo sorry i no how u feel
on sunday the 6th i lost my baby girl luna
and the very next day pumpkin couldnt move
and it was hard 4 her 2 breath because
her toumers just took over and i sat with her
and she finally let go after a year and a half of fighting
them and all i have left is mouse ( i no a rat named mouse )
and i cry a little sometimes well i am really really sorry

thanks delaney

Back