Her foot is Really Swollen!! UPDATE- Foot Chewing!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh thank you so much. The vet just called me back and said if her foot is healing like I said then the circulation returning is probably making it tingle. She said that because she's only chewing on the nails and not her actual toes to try and give her a little leway and put something bad tasting on them like bitter apple (my boyfriends dad has some that he's using for his bird). But she keeps chewing the nails down and making them bleed and I was wanting to make an e-collar. the vet said they had some her size but they're so far away right now. So thank you thank you for those instructions.

Oh god lol I feel so bad. She hates this thing

DSCF1807.jpg

but it's for her own good. It's kinda blury but this is what her foot looks like now (note her bloody toes)

DSCF1808.jpg

DSCF1809.jpg

IDK if you can see but this pic shows where the skin is peeling away and healing very nicely

Poor sweetie. Did you ask the vet for pain meds? Sven had a collar like that and he hated too. But it's for their own good. Good job on the collar.

no I didn't ask cause the vet said it was the tingling that made her do that. the only time she seems to be in pain is when I give her the compresses because the fresh tissue is exposed right now and it's a little tender.

I do have a question though, what should I feed her right now because I don't think she can eat her blocks without her hands. Should I make her some oatmeal or something?

I wonder if the vet would OK some topical anaesthetic. Severe tingling and itch is really awful, and it might be pain since she can't tell you what she's feeling. Then you wouldn't feel so bad about the collar.

Well the medicine worked and she healed quite well. Her foot looks great now but she still sometimes holds it up when she walks. I felt it and put pressure on it but she didn't pull away or anything so could it just be that she got used to holding it up and now just does it out of habit?

It could totally be habit a bit.

And if she spent a lot of time off it, she might have lost some muscle tone in that leg and it could get a bit tired while she builds her muscle back up.

Thats great to hear that she has healed.

I am sure she will start using it properly once she has regained her muscle tone ;)

Back