Henry's Haven has newbs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on ratguide it says that some babies, if given senekot, can live albeit a shorter life span, but a comfortable one. It's sommething she'll always have to have, the senekot I mean, and a diet that helps her to poop, rich in oils.
It can't be cured, but if it's a later onset form of Megacolon, it can be 'treated'.

MC can have milder forms of it, and these rats can be managed carefully and can live almost full lives...it can be work on the owner's part but they occasionally happen. Its more a digestion issue than full-blown Megacolon.

this is an exerpt from ratguide-

"Treatment
Mortality is high in rats that present with this at birth or shortly thereafter. Euthanasia may be required.
Rats that survive past weaning and infancy require lifetime treatment. Quality of life can be maintained, though lifespan may be shorter. In larger mammals surgery can be performed which removed the parts of the colon that are damaged. This is not an option for pet rats at this time."
http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/megacolon.php

Ohh Lynds I am soo sorry :( Poor baby girl, gone to soon. I am glad she got to be spoild by you, if only for a short time but I was rootin for a longer stay. Sending hugs to you. :sad3: :cry3:

And I do want to add, what a beautiful way for her to go. Loved and secure. :heart: :hugs:

So sorry to hear the loss of Lahela.

Those we love don’t go away,
They walk beside us everyday,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear

Alway remember what you did for her RIP little Lahela :heart:

Latest posts

Back