help :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabellapauline

My two year old rat Daisy was breathing pretty heavy last week so we took her to the vet and got her some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. She just seemed so out of it and she wouldn’t eat solid foods or drink so we’ve been feeding her baby food. Yesterday, after about four days of meds, she literally seemed back to her old energetic self and she started eating solid food and drinking again. Today she’s acting weird again. She’s breathing really heavy and lethargic and seems super out of it again. She’s still on her meds. I don’t know what to do :(

What antibiotics were you given?
she was given metacam for inflammation and an albon suspension for her URI. the vet took a sample of some blood (it was actually blood because her nose was inflamed, not porphyrin) and she said she has streptococcus or a staphylococcus infection in her upper respiratory system :(

she was doing so amazing last night but now she’s breathing so hard i feel so terrible and i don’t wanna lose her :( ive been able to get food and fluids into her though

Unfortunately I don't think your vet is very knowledgeable about rats and their illness. Albon is not drug you should give for a respiratory infection. You really need Baytril (Enrofloxacin) and either doxycycline,zithromycin or clavamox. Albon is not effective on mycoplasmosis so basically she's getting sicker because she's being untreated. Can you call and insist on a combo of these antibiotics?

Unfortunately I don't think your vet is very knowledgeable about rats and their illness. Albon is not drug you should give for a respiratory infection. You really need Baytril (Enrofloxacin) and either doxycycline,zithromycin or clavamox. Albon is not effective on mycoplasmosis so basically she's getting sicker because she's being untreated. Can you call and insist on a combo of these antibiotics?
my mom called and asked about it :( would metacam be good for the anti inflammatory still? or should i ask for something else? she’s still here and i want to do absolutely anything to make her feel better

they said they don’t have baytril available and they’d have to get it delivered which takes days :/ we’re gonna try to have to call some vets in other areas to see if they have some instead

So sorry for the trouble getting the meds. Been a while for me but iirc it's a combination not either or, so Baytril and the Doxycycline or the others listed.

I hope you're able to get a hold of some other vets. Cat/dog vets don't always know what they're doing with rats. I learnt this the hard way once sadly. I was told an older rat was fine when he wasn't, and these meds would have extended his life and quality.

If you're stuck waiting for the meds to be ordered in, maybe try calling a small animal rescue in your area in case they have some on hand already? and the knowledgeable admins here can probably help with dose info.

So sorry for the trouble getting the meds. Been a while for me but iirc it's a combination not either or, so Baytril and the Doxycycline or the others listed.

I hope you're able to get a hold of some other vets. Cat/dog vets don't always know what they're doing with rats. I learnt this the hard way once sadly. I was told an older rat was fine when he wasn't, and these meds would have extended his life and quality.

If you're stuck waiting for the meds to be ordered in, maybe try calling a small animal rescue in your area in case they have some on hand already? and the knowledgeable admins here can probably help with dose info.
will do :( i’m also having trouble with her not pooping at all. we’re syringe feeding her and getting some nutrients like baby food and other fluids into her and she’s been peeing but not pooping at all. she hasn’t pooped for about two days now

You can get Baytril and Doxycycline online. Pray hard -I will- URIs are deadly and she has it bad like my Poe... who died the other night. He couldn't breathe as his esophagus was so swollen. Make sure Daisy gets a lot of fibre for her poop problem, porridge or pumpkin puree should do the trick.

((hugs))
💘

Prayers for Daisy. I hope that she gets well again.
If she does go, know that she is at peace.
Also, keep giving her antiflamitory. Her esophagus could be swollen and she could suffocate. Keep her body temp. under control, as my Poe was having trouble with that.
can you get in contact with the people who previously owned Daisy? They might know a better vet.

You can get Baytril and Doxycycline online. Pray hard -I will- URIs are deadly and she has it bad like my Poe... who died the other night. He couldn't breathe as his esophagus was so swollen. Make sure Daisy gets a lot of fibre for her poop problem, porridge or pumpkin puree should do the trick.

((hugs))
💘

Prayers for Daisy. I hope that she gets well again.
If she does go, know that she is at peace.
Also, keep giving her antiflamitory. Her esophagus could be swollen and she could suffocate. Keep her body temp. under control, as my Poe was having trouble with that.
can you get in contact with the people who previously owned Daisy? They might know a better vet.
i actually got daisy from a hardware store :( she was a feeder. thank you for your prayers it really means a lot. she’s literally my best friend and this is devastating to watch. right now i’m trying to do everything in my power to make her feel better. and i’m so sorry about little poe. that really breaks my heart💔

Last edited:
((even more virtual hugs, I guess I'm that kind of person))
Sorry to hear. Daisy must be happy to have such a loving mom.

youtube.com/watch?v=NhgvPwxYDsU&t=93s

just a video from my channel. Hope the Poe cuteness makes you feel better. 💘

((even more virtual hugs, I guess I'm that kind of person))
Sorry to hear. Daisy must be happy to have such a loving mom.

youtube.com/watch?v=NhgvPwxYDsU&t=93s

just a video from my channel. Hope the Poe cuteness makes you feel better. 💘
what a sweet little guy ❤ thank you for sharing that memory of him

Can you go to another vet? I see that you are in The USA so there should be another vetm hopefully more knledgeable bout rats that you can tajke ther to see.
Rats become ill and die fast so she needs to see a vet asap!!
and hopefully be given baytril + azithromycin ...... orally, twice a day ... for at 6 weeks if they help.. Azithromycin can be purchased from a pharmacy with a prescription from the vet, but is not very effective if not given with baytril. Baytril is a main vet antibiotic given to many species of animals

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.phphttp://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/azithromycin.php

Back