Help!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Casper

My rat (the one who wasn't sneezing as much as the other) is now making a weird noice when he breathes. At first I thought it was his (or my) stomach growling or gurgling. But then i pick him up (he was sleeping) and he started breathing at a more normal awake speed, and every breath had that noice. Not breathy like rasping, but with some actual noise associated with it.
What should i do!? Is this bad!?!?!?!
HELP!

It's not good, rats shouldn't make noise. Is he open mouth gasping? If not, then there's still a chance of him getting better. He would need a vet though and meds. In the mean time, you can run a kettle of water near him, so he's close to the steam but not close enough to burn him. Or you could bring him in the bathroom and run the shower, that steam could help open up his airways.

Check out the link right below called baytril. It sounds like your little guy has either an upper respiratory infection or pneumonia. If it went from a wheezy sound to a crackly/gurgly sound then get him to a vet ASAP. Their metabolisms are so fast that it can get real bad real quick. Sending healing vibes your way.

I read on another forum that your parents were making you take the boys back to PetLand, but that you were going to try to find a rescue first. Good for you!!!! That is being a responsible Rat Owner. :thumbup:

Jimmy Casper said:
I live in Lexington VA in the U.S.

Is that anywhere near Stafford?

I have a friend who lives in Stafford, VA who may be able to recommend vets or if you are looking for a shelter or rescue she may know of one. Which are you looking for?

My mom sort of fell in love with the rats. I caught her in my room trying to get them to come to her and petting them. So i think i will be able to keep them. As for money in case of a vet i'm gonna take out loans from my parents if the need arrives.
Thank you all so much

Back