Help with names

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violet976

It's been a bad month of losses and I've always had trouble deciding on names anyway. Seems with all the losses I've just lost steam to make a decision for names. I've got a new naked girl, currently being called "Tiny naked girl", and am headed out to pick up another older male at a shelter 3 hours from here tomorrow, both of which need some permanent names. Goodness, I haven't even really taken pictures since I first got her, but naked girl is very young and energetic, a spastic baby personality and very curious about everything.

541885_576214605759687_1984141201_n.jpg

1385024_576214685759679_1596810994_n.jpg

1382140_576214729093008_728539445_n.jpg

The new boy I wont meet until tomorrow, but here are the photos they have of him. He is supposedly over 2 years old and all of his buddies were adopted except for him:

41d57710-541e-426c-9719-cea655116422.jpg

bd8158d1-8bc0-484c-98ae-04fc29ad2e31.jpg

Names I have been leaning to are:

Nudel, Scampi, Goosebumples, Morsel (pronounced more-sell), Nudeybum, names like Gillette or Razor but not those two, Peepshow, Jitters, Jeepers, Mushkins, Nakiebum, Wrinklebum, Reptar, Newty, Festivus, Mangus, Pixel, Jujube... to give you an idea what I gravitate towards. I'd love any input at this point as I just can't seem to settle on yet more names at this point.

aw she's so - so- naked :laugh4:
she's adorable
I love the name Goosebumples, you could call her Goose for short.

oh you are a brave woman to take in an older guy, especially after your recent losses. :hugs: :heart:

I kinda like the name he has now, Dave. But then that's my favorite boy's name and the name of my one of my nephews, so........
I like to do the Cheech and Chong routine (knock knock....who is it? open up, it's me Dave, I've got the stuff. Dave's not here.....)

shoot, I should have given Rocko that name! :lol: except that I think my nephew Dave might take exception to me naming a rat after him.

that's all I've got, sorry! I never thought I'd run out of names, but I really have more favorite girl names than boys.

oh and congRATulations!!

I don't know nothing really jumps out. I :heart: nakies, but that last pic - she looks spooky.... Maybe Wrinkles? The other one needs an old man's name .... How about Chip, as I look at him he has a "chip" it looks like missing out of one ear..... They are precious though

I know the risk is there taking in another potential oldie, but I would simply feel wrong not taking him. I feel like I'm supposed to have him, since I saw him before but passed him over because he had buddies at the shelter, and now here he is still a few months later, but all alone now with his buddies all adopted. I had Munster just one week at my home after quarantine, and I've never known a rat quite like him. I wish I hadn't lost him so very soon, but the thought of *not* having gotten to know him would have been even more sad, I think. I'd rather think I can lose any of them at any time and not worry about it. I didn't expect Merle would leave so soon but he did, and I just can't imagine turning an older one away if I have the means to care for them for however much time they have left. Gizmo I only had four months as well, and I can't imagine not having that wonderful time with her. Both she and Munster were such short term and yet we bonded as much as any other rats I've had, and so I keep trying to remind myself the impact these little ones were able to leave behind even for such a short time. Those memories, after the initial shock of losing so many back to back, are enough I suppose to have me driving right back to possibly do it all over again. A great quote that always comes to mind... "we choose our sorrows long before we experience them" - I like to think that they paid me in advance in joy for the hard times that came at the end, and I think I've always come out ahead once my head cleared from the loss.

I don't think Dave will stick for a name. It doesn't quite fit for me, and I know he's probably only had it a few months anyway.

lol. I really do need to get more photos of her. She really doesn't look scary at all, except when I put her cage next to Minca's. *then* she looks like she's on crack - stomping and flailing herself back and forth. Intros... will be interesting. Really though, she's a sweet girl and really, really adorable. <3

I so agree that it's better to love an oldie rescue than to have missed knowing them, even though it is hard.

Five minutes ago (I thought) I'd posted about their names, but the post went into cyberspace.

I like Scampi or Pixel or Kobold for the nakie girl, and Newty (Newton) for the manrat. Those sweeties will give you joy again.

Naked girl has very much helped me through this week. I thought I was just going to "go through the motions" of letting Minca out, then alternating and letting naked girl out so they each would get some time out, and Naked girl just shot around so enthusiastically it was hard not to be cheered up some. Her energy is contagious. I don't doubt that the old man we'll pick up tomorrow will do the same. There is something so lovely about the nature of the old ones that I love much more than the young ones. Don't get me wrong, the younger ones are great too, but the old ones are so set in their personalities, already calm and easy to manage, they are just already settled, for lack of a better way to describe it. The new ones... they make my head spin at times. :p

I have a little girl just like yours. Called her Ninja because she kept kicking everything out of her way and the name stuck. lol
I really like Charlie, have rescued 5 so far with that name. Lost the last one a few days ago, he was over 3.
Congrats and kudos for rescuing!

I'm not sure about Pixel but I've used the name Pixie before and I think it's cute.

Really is up to you :) They are both lovely and I'm sure you'll find the right names soon.

I think most of us love an opportunity to offer up names, I can't possibly have enough kids to fit all the names I want to give them!
My input is Wrinkle & Rumple. If you want to go with Goosepimples how about Goose & Gander? (my fave choice). There's always Harry & Hairless...

Just got back from picking him up. He was 3 hours away so we found a good vegan restaurant and made a day of it. He's home now, has a chunk missing out of one ear (healed up) and I'm pretty sure a URI that will need to be treated, though I'm waiting to make sure it's not just the stress of the day for him. Still not sold on a name yet. My mother mentioned Davi (dah-vee), which is on the list, but I'm still not sold yet.

I did like Toupee for naked girl, and Goose/Gander, Rumple/Wrinkle, but I just can't fully commit to anything yet. At this rate naked girl is simply going to become Naked Girl. :p

How are things going? What names did you decide on? Hope everything is well with you and the ratties - haven't seen you on here is awhile or perhaps I missed it.. :cuddle:

sigh... as always, I've still not committed to names for either the naked girl or the "new" older boy, who is coming home tomorrow, by the way. :) The past couple months have been pretty crazy and now we also just brought home a 5th cat from the shelter because she bit my father and she had 10 days to find a home or be put down, so I'm a bit behind on everything.

I've been calling the naked girl "Naked Girl", "Naked Bean" and "Beaners", which is funny because I'm not really fond of the name. Still *no* idea for th boys name. :/

Back