Help with dose figuring & opinion please??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered if there could be a heart aspect after Summer died in spite of meds and I was reading some stuff here that sounded ominously similar..
And then Sugar seemed totally healthy (the only one of my 4 that hadn't had any issues) and just suddenly dropped dead. I've also wondered if their filthy conditions before rescue could have caused permanent respiratory damage - but that doesn't explain Sugar dying suddenly with no warning. And Bug & Summer Breeze are doing ok I think (after Summer Breeze's head tilt). And I don't know how Lola is, and Ratamataz hasn't been around here lately so I don't know how Sammy & Stanley are....

How on earth would I approach my vet about asking someone else for advice? She was the farthest thing from receptive when I took her info from RMCA when Summer was sick and even got uptight about people getting things from the net when they don't know what they're doing (words to that effect anyway). I'm not sure that Simone's vet would tell her she should be dosing higher anyway???

What is the concentration of your injectable dex Ratlady?

Fidget...erythromycin is used only for mild uri's and its not considered a very strong med at all.
Your best bet is to fight for doxycycline not zithro.

Doxy is dosed at 2.5-5 mg/kg PO, BID

There are other things you can try for bumblefoot but since your vet only prescribes baytril and not a lot or for enough time, it looks like you are on your own with the blu-kote :(

I think you need a new rat vet...

Sometimes vets are willing to consult with other vets.
My vet (who is absolutely wonderful) has done so at my request.

I hope you can find another vet.

Not fidget but I know her pain - There are no good rat vets in Victoria!

We are looking for a good rat vet for the rescue ourselves as we have a very active chapter in Victoria. No luck. We've been actively looking for the last 3 years!

Instead we currently fly sick/injured rats to Vancouver like we did with Mica

lilspaz68 said:
Simone should be on at least a 14 day course...if she was mine she would be on .07 cc BID... Same with Fidget, she should get .08 cc BID.
javakittie said:
....I'd personally up the dosage to .07/.08cc twice a day, and keep them on it for *atleast* 14 days....
Ok, are these dosages you recommend for 2.27% baytril - or 5% as my vet gives?

Touille had a vet check today, I took Fidget too. She did up Fidget's dose to .04 ml twice a day for 14 days as Fidget is very sick. That's still lower than your .08, but it is 5% baytril -so I'm just checking if you figured that in and if it's still too low.

That was the best I could get and was grateful for that at least. Sumone's remains .03 ml once a day. Sumone is not really sick - she just gets off & on chirpy and sometimes noisy without meds, but sometimes it can get progressively worse and I put her on meds when it starts to look alarming.

And Touille checked out just fine in his exam :happydance: , but she gave him .05 ml once a day - she says cause he's been sneezing & shaking his head and is with Fidget who is very ill. (now why she's never before put all my kids on meds when one is sick I don't know).

And I'm wondering if I should hold off meds for Sumone & Touile unless they get worse as might it be more harmful in the long run to give them a useless dose than none at all if they are not really sick it at the time?

But my main concern right now is Fidget. Is .04 2 times a day (of 5% baytril) ok? or should I give her more than that? I have a little extra and wonder if it's best to up her dose big for a week and only have enough for 14 days - or keep it as vet recommended today and be able to give it longer?

Sorry, a lot of questions.. I'm a bug... but I want to be sure I'm doing best I can for Fidget right now.
Thankyou so much for your patience and your help!!!.

A 50mg Baytril... your Fidget should get 0.077 twice a day for maximum effect. At 0.04 she is still at the low end dose, mostly a maintenance dose. :(

I'm really terrified of angering her to the point where she shuts me out completely - today was the most receptive she's ever been... God I wish I had one of you knowledgeable & experienced (& brave) people to take with me....
I did take her the RMCA drug chart and the pages on Doxy and Baytril on disc again today (for the 2nd time)- she said she'd look at them...
Littledevils says I can order it online but it will take 10 days :(

Have you ever tried a chlorhexidine solution for the bumblefoot Fidget? I've used it with great success, in combination with oral antibiotics and Fuciderm gel.

I'm not sure how easy chlorhexidine would be to find in your area, but you can usually find it at feed stores or tack shops as farmers use it for horses, cows, etc. You may be able to get it from your vet clinic too, but would be more expensive.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ch ... page1.aspx

As Jo said, Shelagh and I used 50mg/ml as the concentration of the Baytril.

I do hope that the correct dosage helps Fidget. And if you're unable to up the other dosage, it would be better to stop than to continue on. Hopefully when she does become sick enough for your vet, she'll prescribe a higher dosage. You're building up a resistance because they're being medicated, but it's not actually killing off the bacteria. All it's doing is killing off the weaker bits of bacteria, which only leaves the stronger bits.

Back