Help with a bully rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie_eve

So Ive recently gotten 2 new young rats (10 weeks ish old) to join my 2yr old girl as she's about to loose her cage mate

All went well with intros and they have lived together for a few weeks happily. However recently Ivy (the smallest of the 2 new girls) has turned into a right nasty thing with the other rats. She fights with the other young girl but picks on my eldest (pixie) to the point she's now petrified to be in the cage and won't eat.

The fights look terrible as they're rolling, squealing and chasing around. No blood yet.. Outside the cage she appears ok and they all sleep together in a hammock but when night comes or foods about, it's all downhill. Pixie isn't starting anything and has been easy to intro to others.

Can anyone give advice of what to do here?

Do you have food and water in multiple places around the cage? I would start there. They may be feeling competitive over possessions.

Thanks for your reply. There is only one water bottle at the min as I've had to use the other elsewhere.
Food has always been spread all over the cage to avoid the bowl fight situation.

You could use a time out cage. A small cage with nothing in it, no food, no bedding, no toys. Each time she bullies someone, she goes into the time out cage for no more than 10 minutes. It has worked with a few bullies to stop being such a pain.

I'll certainly try that. Tried once but she went straight for her again. However I guess we need to persist at these things. Wish it wasn't after I go to bed!
She's a lovely rat and way too confident for her age and size!

Do you know if this happens more often when someone is in heat?

you definitely want 2 or 3 sources of water in the cage, at least one should be a water dish that can not be tipped.

I've not been able to tell whether the girls are on heat. Never really noticed much difference.

After having my resident girl removed from the cage for a few days, and now returned, things seems to be a bit less violent though.

I now have a second water source back. Didn't have a bowl before as the male is so disabled I had to keep alot off the floor.

I'm also getting some more toys back in for them.

Yes, she seems to have settled a bit and the adult is now able to come out for food and is more relaxed.
I will watch for her being in heat though.. If I can

Hmm, this is interesting. I have had rats since 2006/2007 and one of the surprising/pleasing things I have discovered about them is that they never fight about food or water. Sure they may try to steal one another's treat from them, but I have never encountered any fighting over food/water, so it is interesting other people have. (for me the fighting has always been about dominance/territory).

Back