Help!! Wild rat attracted to pet rats scent??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jas

I know my pet rat isn’t the reason for a wild rat being my house but I think it is very interested in my pet rat!! I have a male about 2 years old. One day I woke up in the middle of the night because I heard noises, thinking it was my pet rat who had just escaped the prior day I got up fast shined my flashlight, saw that he was still sleeping in his cage and a brown rat scurried away! This point I’m not thinking anything strange about it, I just figured it was looking for food cause I also keep his food and treats on a shelf by his cage. Second day I heard it making noises this time!! Third day, I set up a trap and moved my rat out of my room so he wouldn’t hear any distressing sounds if it worked. For two days, the wild rat didn’t come or wasn’t heard. I moved my pets cage back into my room and that same night I heard the rat trying to come again! I had covered the whole with a piece of tile and could hear the rat trying to scratch at it. After that I moved his cage out of my room again and tonight at 5am I woke up to noises in my living room!! (Where I had moved his cage to) I went to go check and saw that my rats cage was open then saw a rat scurrying away so I thought mine had escaped, I turned my flashlight on and saw my pet rat still sleeping in his hammock!! The wild rat opened my rats cage and was trying to talk to him!! I went back to my room and prob 10 mins later I heard something fall on the floor, so I shine my light again towards the living room where the cage is and the wild rat was at his cage again and ran away once the light was flashed!!! Has this happened to anyone?? I tried looking online but didn’t see any stories like mine and I feel sooo paranoid now!! I also now think the first time my rat escaped was because the wild rat opened it again because he also had a bunch of little bloody marks on him and at the time I was so confused as to what it could’ve been because if it was my dogs who’d attacked him it would have been way worse and it was a day prior to me first seeing the wild rat!!

You could put a combination lock on the cage while you get rid of the wild rat. It’s also possible that the wild one might be sick and can pass on illnesses. It could also be territorial and try to gain dominance. Are wild rats common in your area? It’s possible it’s a homeless pet that got loose or was dumped

Last edited:
Back