HELP: SPCA gave me a pregnant rat- my rat has given birth!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww she sounds like a wonderful momma rat, and I'm glad they have you to look after them! Also, I want pictures. As I'm sure everyone else does. Heh.

phew- thanks! will take pictures once they calm down.

since they are newborn- can they travel? i do go back to hamilton during the weekend, but i don't think i should since they are newborn- unless it's ok!

they have everything there they need, but i am worry about stress and travelling!

The newborns will be less stressed by travel than their mom since they don't know any better. You just have to make sure that they all have comfortable temperatures - Worrisome in a car as even a cat or dog can die or get brain damage left just 5 minutes in a car even with the windows cracked in the extreme heat most of us are having.. The babies will travel fine with their mom (long as she's not a nervous type and it affects her milk production) but you have to keep the cage cool (Not with open window breezes, the kids can have trouble with drafts).

Personally, I wouldn't travel with them this weekend if I didn't absolutely have to.
It would stress their mom and that might or might not have bad consequences.
If the babies were older it would likely be ok ....

oh thanks!

i couldn't sleep all night as i was so worried LOL. it's like the first week i got my rat when i checked on her often to make sure she was ok hahahha.

i woke up today and the babies are fine. they are all together, but mother is not sitting with them in the nest??? she is sitting next to the nest. i checked for white bands and they all have them. the babies are not crying, but is this normal for mum to not be in the nest with them?

might sound like a silly question, but i am just worry of the babies being abandoned by the mum- then i will have another headache!

I wouldn't be too worried, sometimes moms need a break! Could you imagine all those hungry little mouths? I'm sure after she has a good rest she will go in and nurse everyone again. It sounds like she has been a great mom so far.

Pink

thanks!

i am pretty much a beginner with this rat babies thing lol.

i still have a dilemma with all the travelling stuff. i am supposed to go back to hamilton this weekend and also to pay spca a visit :p

i don't feel comfortable leaving them here unless it is ok (since rats are self sufficient, but i am so worried of infanticide or babies dying), but at the same time i don't want to stress mum out. she actually likes the house in hamilton much better as she can free roam in a bigger room (i keep a watchful eye), but i am not sure about the car ride. she does have a proper carrier and i usually put like nice soft towels for her to rest on.

any suggestions? you guys are the expert lol.

i am not sure if she is the nervous type anymore. when i saw her at spca, she was very curious and brave. when i got her, she got more skittish so i thought she was lonely and because she was new to her environment. she got really close to me after the 1st week, but after giving birth yesterday, she had a personality change! she is now extremely brave and curious and she jumps onto me. she is not afraid of my hands anymore. i don't know what to think of her hahahha.

She can come here...if you want. I pet sit all the time and just finish raising some litters.

Or you could take her to the SPCA with you. I think she'll be fine...I had to take my rescues from Simcoe to Kitchener in boxes, with nursing mothers and a pinkie in my pocket.

henry's_mum said:
Dahlas said:
lj said:
ryelle said:
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: Oh Ryelle. You kill me.

:giggle: it is good advice...in any situation...except maybe swimming under water. :giggle:
:lol2:
you guys are hillarious!

how is everyone doing?

LMAO I so desperately wanted to post more, but it was just gone 11pm and i was falling asleep and had to get up early this morning. It was the only thing i could type fast enough before i had to log off

spookie.cookie said:
that is good to know! when would she stop?!?!?!?

she stole lots of my kleenex and toilet paper

hehehe. I had hung a low hammock as a canopy for Momma and her babes. She very diligently chewed off all the corners and used it as a blanket to cover them up!

How far is the trip and is it in a car?

How long will you be gone to Hamilton for? How long will you be away? Rats normally do not practice infanticide, and if its only a couple of days I would leave her with a big supply of food and water and let her relax with her new family.

You can also give her things like some boiled egg, cooked chicken and tuna to get some extra protein in her.

minuke99 said:
spookie.cookie said:
that is good to know! when would she stop?!?!?!?

she stole lots of my kleenex and toilet paper

hehehe. I had hung a low hammock as a canopy for Momma and her babes. She very diligently chewed off all the corners and used it as a blanket to cover them up!

hahahahha- i wonder what she is going to steal next. she is hoarding food!!!

lilspaz68 said:
How far is the trip and is it in a car?

How long will you be gone to Hamilton for? How long will you be away? Rats normally do not practice infanticide, and if its only a couple of days I would leave her with a big supply of food and water and let her relax with her new family.

well it's going to be 1-1.5 hour long. i will be gone from friday evening to monday night/tuesday morning.

that is good to know- i need to stop worrying.

i also notice that she is grooming (?) more than usual. she licks her paws and scratches around. i am checking for parasites and scabs, but none found.... hmmm.......

thanks!

oh i am so worried.

the mum is hoarding a lot of tissue and wouldn't stop.

she is behaving funny too. she scratches and sneezes a lot! there is no sign of red discharge, but she is making these funny noises (like teeth grinding, but loud!). she is eating and playing a lot, i am worried about respiratory illness. her breathing is quiet and heartbeat is fast paced, but i don't know! i even saw her head vibrating while making those funny noises!!!

Sounds like she is bruxing, ratties do that when they are content. Youtubei t and see if it's the same thing. It's so cute when they do it. :) The sneezing and stuff could probably be due to stress, just going to a new home can be really stressful on rats and it's common for them to sneeze for the first bit, and then giving birth on top of it would be even more stress!

Back