Help, she bites!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SamanthasRats

I adopted 2 sisters because out local pet store burnt down. You can tell they are a little freaked out and still getting adjusted, but also can tell they were handled often and are pretty comfortable running around on me and want to be held. But, one of them randomly will approach me and will bite me. Why is she doing that?

They have been through a really traumatic event. Were they in the fire? Did you have them checked out by a vet to make sure they don't have issues from smoke inhalation? How long have you had them? They may just need a little more time to adjust. How old are they? Is she biting hard and drawing blood? Where does she bite you? You may smell like food, and she thinks you have treats. Do you know how old they are?

Yeah they were in the fire, they went to the humane society first anf were checked out by a vet, so they are in good shape. They are about 6/8 months. I have only had them 5 days (I have had other rats in the past though) She is biting semi hard, no blood but not a nibble. A few times she was running around on my bed and running on top of me checking me out then randomly bit, another time i was putting her and her sister back in their cage and went to adjust their house how it usually is and she came at me pretty aggressively

Off topic but thats a total pee wee moment maby you could call them the pee wee sisters. Any one who wached pee wee hermans big adventure know what im talking about. I hope they are doing better. They are doing better than i would in that situation. Sounds like some partial cage agression. Probably not the case esspechally in females but anythings possible.

As Dena mentioned, they were in a very scary situation. They may be acting out, simply from the trauma they endured.
Also, your girl may be mistaking your fingers because they smell like food. My babies still nibble my fingers, but they're just trying to figure out what's food and what isn't.

Back