Help sexing new rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Hey!
My boyfriend and I are new rat owners and have had them for about 4 weeks now. They were adopted from a local pet store and we were told they were both boys (8 weeks old at the time). They are now 3 months old and despite our vet even confirming they were boys we've been having some doubts. If someone could help us out with their opinion that would be fantastic. Here are a couple of photos.View attachment 5218

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image-214.jpg
    image-214.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 102
You are very fortunate that they are the same sex and that they were not pregnant when you got them (normal gestation is 21.5 days) .... unfortunately pet store employees usually know nothing about rats and their proper care.
........ Hopefully either your vet likes rats and is willing to learn or you can find a find a good vet that is more knowledgeable about pet rats - having a good vet is essential for rat owners

Welcome to the forum !! :)

btw, if you have access to a good knowledgeable vet experienced in successfully spaying rats you might want to consider spaying the girls as spaying prevents or reduces the risk of several serious and often fatal health conditions ... and can be less expensive in the long run when compared to the expense of removing multiple tumours etc http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/spay.php

176.png

Last edited:
You are very fortunate that they are the same sex and that they were not pregnant when you got them (normal gestation is 21.5 days) .... unfortunately pet store employees usually know nothing about rats and their proper care.
........ Hopefully either your vet likes rats and is willing to learn or you can find a find a good vet that is more knowledgeable about pet rats - having a good vet is essential for rat owners

Welcome to the forum !! :)

btw, if you have access to a good knowledgeable vet experienced in successfully spaying rats you might want to consider spaying the girls as spaying prevents or reduces the risk of several serious and often fatal health conditions ... and can be less expensive in the long run when compared to the expense of removing multiple tumours etc http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/spay.php

Thank you guys so much :) I'm very very relieved that they're both females. It makes everything much easier. There are several vets in my town that treat rats so I'll root around and find someone a bit more knowledgable about them hopefully. And yeah I'll definitely look into spaying too.

I'm glad we didn't end up naming them Ed and Al:lol:

Thanks again for your help!

a20130520-34.jpg

a20121201-134.jpg

a20130521-21.jpg

Back