HELP! Rhys...Bad Luck and Poor Health

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

Ok so I am going to give the entire story. Last week Rhys had a terrible mishap.
I had just prepared everything to start cleaning. My water bucket, all the clean linens.
Then I began putting the rats on the play table one by one. So thats 8 rats from the CN,
then I added Gunther and Teddy, like I have every week. Then I decided Rhys and his
girlie Willie, should come out as well.

I totally forgot Rhys's terrible habit of jumping off the table. Normally its not much of a problem,
I just chase him down and put him in his cage. But this time, he jumped right in to my bucket of
BLEACH water. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, I scooped him out of there immediately
and ran to the bath room to rinse him completely. Then I used some dishwashing soap to clean all
bleach water off his skin. I kept close watch on him for a couple of days, and he really seemed to have
no adverse side effects to his event.

I feel absolutely terrible that this happened. It could have all been prevented had I just been paying
more attention. My poor Rhys has been through way too much in his short life.

Anyways, about 2 days ago I thought his face looked a bit sollen but I wasn't sure. But yesterday,
I was definately sure it was sollen. And he looked like he lost 1/2 his body weight in one day, because
he looked so frail, I was afriad to touch him to see what was going on. But I did make sure he could
still eat, and I just assumed this swelling had something to do with his accident last week. Well today I
had to get a look at my poor poor boy. It seems his one tooth is normal, but the other one has grown
up into his cheek. I could not believe it! I mean how fast do rat teeth grow, last week it could not have
been nearly as long as it is now.

I am going to try to get him into the vet tomorrow, I am not sure I will be able to at such short notice, but
I know this has to be taken care of immedately. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly apprieciated!

Here are a few pics they are not very good, but you can see the swelling: Its his bottom left tooth when viewing the pics.
IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

Oh boy... that must have been scary for you. I've had a few times where a rat almost jumped in my water too. Those little guys are just too quick.
His tooth needs a good trim back, ya, they do grow real fast. Hopefully the vet will get him in fast and get Rhys back to eating and fattening him up. For now, lots of baby food and soft food for the boy.

Wow, the bad luck continues.

My vet is at a conference for the day and there is no other vet in the area that will see him today.
I love how emergency visits are out of the question for rats.

My Vet would have seen you but you would have had to drove up here. We trim teeth for $15.00 but what kills you is the Exotic Exam Fee of $44.00 dollars. I hope He feels better..poor boy always just bad luck. Love of love and soft food, until the vet is in.

Well I couldn't get an appt until Friday with my vet.
So I decided to go with the less educated vet, I mean its just a teeth trim...I hope they can handle that.
He has an appt tomorrow, I really don't know if he could make it until Friday...

Back