Help rat with chronic respiratory issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hey, so I adopted this rescued boy, based on what I was told, he is over 2 now and he was rescued from a neglecting situation where the owner stoped cleaning the cage when she got pregnant. The family was afraid she would catch something from the rats so no one would touch the cage. Basically that's what I've been told. The rescuer told me the cage was filled with poop and just disgusting. When he came home he seemed to have a respiratory infection and we tried to treat him with Baytril + Doxy for 5 weeks. Didn't work 100 %. So we tried Baytril + zithro also for about 6 weeks. Worked okay but it came back a two weeks or so after so the me and the vet decided to put him on a maintenance dose of Baytril. Didn't work, so we did Doxy. Maintenance dose of Doxy worked great. He was on it for a couple months then we stopped to see if he could be stable without it. So he wouldn't have to be on antibiotics all the time. He was okay for a while. A week ago he started becoming very congested again. Since last time difference antibiotics twice a day didn't work 100% we started the doxy again ( maintainence dose, once a day ) but this time it isn't helping him. We got a nebuliser and he uses it twice a day too. Doesn't seem to help much. I had a very ill boy a few weeks ago that had to be pts. The vet prescribed some medication to nebulize ( can't remember the name) for the boy that passed and when he passed the vet said to keep the medication cuz it might be useful to other rats that are having trouble so I'm thinking of trying it for him in the nebuliser. Other than that I don't know what else to do to try and make him more comfortable so if anyone has any suggestions they are appreciated ! Thank you!

Back