HELP! Post SPAY, PANTING, Pain, Wont Eat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @SQ ... I will definitely get her on that diet! Thank you so much.

And I've been in contact with @Lilspaz68 .... she has been the kindest most helpful person.

You guys are all wonderful.

Hope my baby pulls through all of this. She is such a cutie pie and a little fighter.

@lilspaz68

Hi! She is hanging in there.

The good news:

She is eating more and drinking more. This makes me happy because of all the rats I have, she is the one who LOVES food. :blowbub:

She also FINALLY crawled out of her cage to be with the other girls. That must mean she is feeling better!

Bad news:
She still has a swollen belly and lumps in there. I can't tell if the lumps move ie: constipation/gas or if they are tumors or an infection. But the lumps definitely did not show up until after the surgery. They are soft to the touch. Her poops are also still dark, small and hard. BUT at least she is pooping a little more. I would just like to see them look normal again.

I did notice one thing which is weird She is peeing a LOT lately. I am also giving fluids...but I worry about her kidneys. And her breathing is still a little fast for my liking, but the breathing part doesn't seem to bother her. I think she just wants the staples out! :D

Her sides are still sunken in but she is definitely moving around much more. Slowly yes....but moving! :D And her sisters are being VERY gentle with her which is very very sweet. I think I'm going to access for a few more days ... and if the lumps are not gone by next week, I'm going in to see the vet.

Thank you for EVERYTHING as usual! I'll keep you guys updated! Im so curious what's happening with Ella.... I'm just keep making her comfortable as we walk through this. :D

-M.

@lilspaz68

Howdy!
Okay, I will try to answer this the best I can...

LEFT Bump:
1. Oddly shaped. I THINK this is compacted feces. I say this because it feels like a bumpy large tadpole...I'll explain. The "head of the tadpole" is sort of this large lump and then it's followed by the "tail of the tadpole"...this bumpy long string of what I think is poop. The weird thing though if it is feces...wouldn't it move eventually?
2. Size: It's hard to say. Medium? Not crazy large where I can see it by just looking, but I can feel it when I feel her belly.
3: Location: When she lies on her belly, it's harder to feel because it's located away from the incision. More towards her back/spine and the "tail" runs up and down vertically to her body. I hope this is all making sense.
4. Hard to the touch.
5. NOT under the skin.

RIGHT Bump:
1. Round shape. Size of a nickel-sh.
2. It feels internal...not under her skin.
3. Side of the incision.
4. It's between hard and soft. Kind of like a boiled egg is softness? This was NOT there before surgery. Surgery was a week ago, this turned up a few days after.

Good news is...she IS pooping. They are hard, but at least they are coming out.
Her stomach is still sunken on the sides...but she is moving around slowly more and even nudges me and the rats to pet her. Cutie pie. :)

She is still having a bit of a hard time to eat hard food, but her appetite is slightly better. I would like her to drink more! :D

-M.

@lilspaz68

PS! have you heard of fecaloma? I wonder if that is what she has on her left side? If so, I wonder how to unblock that bulge! Enema? I heard about oil enemas and massage could help? Man...sorry about all this poop talk. I know it's not sexy. ;)

@lilspaz68 @SQ

I was able to get the Xray of Ella's belly BEFORE surgery.
There is a black spot on the right that sort of looks like a tadpole! The vet thought it was gas....
Do you have any thoughts on this? tumor maybe? Perhaps this is what I'm feeling now...but larger? I remember I made TADPOLE reference in my last email! Coincidence?

Although...I don't see the other bump that I feel now that is next to the incision (nickel like appearance).

Here is the pic! Would love your thoughts on this or anyone else on this board. Thank youououou!

photo.jpg

@lilspaz68 @SQ

I was able to get the Xray of Ella's belly BEFORE surgery.
There is a black spot on the right that sort of looks like a tadpole! The vet thought it was gas....
Do you have any thoughts on this? tumor maybe? Perhaps this is what I'm feeling now...but larger? I remember I made TADPOLE reference in my last email! Coincidence?

Although...I don't see the other bump that I feel now that is next to the incision (nickel like appearance).

Here is the pic! Would love your thoughts on this or anyone else on this board. Thank youououou!

sorry I am not good at interpreting x-rays but I did see Jenny's girl's x-rays where you could see very round pockets of gas, whereas yours is much darker and oddly shaped and in a different location. My guess is this is more solid and possibly a mass.

That looks like a mass of some kind. The circular area, the "tail" part which is foggy could be gas. Didn't the vet check to see what that was during the spay?

sorry I am not good at interpreting x-rays but I did see Jenny's girl's x-rays where you could see very round pockets of gas, whereas yours is much darker and oddly shaped and in a different location. My guess is this is more solid and possibly a mass.

@lilspaz68 Okay. Thanks for your thoughts! I'm taking her in tomorrow....I'll let you know what the vet says!

:nod::nod:

That looks like a mass of some kind. The circular area, the "tail" part which is foggy could be gas. Didn't the vet check to see what that was during the spay?

@dspch911 She didn't mention anything during her exploratory. I'm going in tomorrow to accesss....I'll let you guys know what I find!

thank you for all your advice and help! :D

@lilspaz68 @dspch911 UPDATE: Regarding the xray, turns out it is indeed gas. So as it stands, the bump on the left was feces and gas and the bump on the right is unfortunately possibly as tumor. :( This makes me sad.

:cry5:

That's too bad. Any idea on her prognosis and is it removable?

@dspch911 - She said she felt something, but doesn't know what it is. I'm assuming it's a tumor internally. :( As for it being removable, she doesn't recommend opening her up again as my rattie had such a difficult time with her most recent spay. :( Thank you for asking!

-M.

PS- This rabbit makes me feel uncomfortable. ;)
:dancingbunny:

FYI - the darker something is on an X-ray, the less dense it is. So really dark = air or fluid.
How is your girl doing?

@Joanne - Ah ` Good to know! I never knew that....you learn something new every day. :)

As for how she is....my main concern right now is she is still having puss come out of her incision and also has vaginal discharge. I put her on Baytril and betadine, but it doesn't seem to be working....

I'm contacting the vet tonight to see if I could change her meds to something else. I need this infection gone!

But as for Ella...she is at least eating and drinking and being affectionate again. :) I'll let you know when I find out more....

Thank you so much!:love4:

Back