Help- Possible rat poisoning!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamienBlade

On Monday, my 3-month old Aishar passed after escaping the Friday prior and finding some rat poison the owner of the house had placed in random locations. We had no idea she was poisoned after we found her until she became sick and passed three hours later. She left behind her sister, Lucy, and we immediately bought two new rats to keep her (and me) company. We believe the poison to have been Brodifacoum by the way. But this morning, four days after the death of Aishar, Lucy became pale, lethargic and slow... exactly like Aishar had been when she died of poison. But, weirdly... Lucy never escaped or was exposed to poison! Is it possible that she was poisoned by Aishars feces/urine? She became sick this morning, and by midday she was splayed out, stiff and looking bad. But tonight she is a small bit more active, better than lunch, but still bad. The other two rats (Frangipani and Coco) are ok and going fine. What I want to know is A) What's happening to Lucy, and B) Does she have any chance, and if so what could I do to help her? I don't want to loose two rats so close to each other...

To add a bit, Lucy has lasted a lot longer than Aishar did, and is still alive (albeit cold, pale and lethargic) now.

You need to take Lucy to a vet now. She is suffering and needs medical attention. They will be able to help more. Who knows it may not have been poison at all and they had a virus that is spreading. I hope the two new rats are in quarantine and not with Lucy!

Are you saying that Lucy may have a virus, and may not be poisoned as Aishar was? But is it possible for poison to spread between rats? Lucy seems to be improving slightly, and is awake and eating bits of apple, albeit sleepily.

Rats who catch a virus will die fast unless put on appropriate antibiotics. IMO, a vet visit with a good rat vet would be a very good idea even if she seems to be doing better

So sorry. Vets do have antidote injections for some poisons. It could have been a virus. Please do a deep clean of the cage and it's contents. It may help it from spreading. Also as you said, if there are feces from sick rats in there the healthy rats could still ingest poison if that is the reason.

Back