HELP possible infection? Update- RIP Ben and Batty

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

There's something wrong with my rat Ben. His head is sticking out on one side and it's hard like bone but he doesn't seem to mind it being touched. And the ear on that side of his head has like blood/ scabbing inside and it looks like it could be infected. Does anyone know what this might be or what could have caused it? I don't have full access to the internet so if it says i'm offline feel free to call my cell with any info >> 352-476-7897

DSCF1965.jpg

DSCF1964.jpg

It looks/sounds like my Emma:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3501

She was diagnosed as having an ear tumour. She was put on abs to help ward off any infection, and a topical steroid to stop swelling. Finally she had metacam which helped ease her discomfort and stopped her scratching at her ear, causing all the blood.

This care was palative only.... she lasted for a while but eventually she fostered an extremely bad infection since the tumour grew and bothered her mouth and inner ear.

That's exactly what ben must have he looks just like emma.

Thanks for your help, i'm trying to find a good vet in our area now. I just moved to california so I have to find myself a good rodent vet. I'll keep everyone updated on ben's progress.

Love & comfort to your boy Ben. Big hopes you luck into a really good ratty vet right off the bat but any vet should give him some antibiotics or find something to treat right away for him.

BIG UPDATE

Took him to the closest vet and I didn't feel to comfortable with him because his first reaction was "maybe it's just his food pouch" T_T
they gave him an antibiotic injection and we went home

we took him to a much better vet the next day (Gateway animal hospital) in glendale

I love this vet

He said it was either a sist or a tumor and laughed at the other vet's initial idea.

The total cost for everything was going to be $230.50

A program called Actors and others donated $100 to us to help ben and we paid the office visit leaving us with about $100 to get him help

I've been frantically calling places and organizations for help because I don't have any more money

I applied for this program called United animal nations: Lifeline grant program

and they called me in 10 min saying they wanted to help. So now the vet is faxing the estimate and I just have to wait for a phone call I guess. They said they'd give us $100 and that's all ben needs! I'm so excited because ben was doing bad this morning

When we woke up his ear and the whole side of his face was covered in blood like it ruptured or something.the other rats isolated him and were keeping away from him which made me nervous so I'm so glad we will be able to get this taken care of.

Wish me luck! I'll keep you updated.

God bless California and it's animal organizations.

Wow, that first vet really didn't know much about rats... that must have scared.

That is so great that you were able to find organizations to help you out. That is just super!!
Good Luck little guy!!

The surgery went good and ben is recovering now. He doesn't have much of an appetite and wont drink much, I think its the anesthesia but last night we offered him some fruit and he went crazy for it. He was bleeding from his ear a little which I think was normal. But the sad thing is that it was a tumor and the vet couldn't get all of it because part of it was deep in his ear and if he would have tried to get it he would have risked damaging the nerves in ben's ear and on the side of his face. He said there is a chance it'll come back but i'm praying it wont.

Oh, good luck to sweet Ben! Even if it *does* come back, chances are good that you've bought him many more happy months with you.

It's so wonderful that the organizations were able to help you guys out :)

Unfortunately things didn't go well. The tumor started growing quickly after the surgery. It pushed his bottom jaw out of alignment so that his bottom teeth came up around his cheek. The surgery site became infected and ben was given antibiotic injections plus oral baytril. I had to syringe feed him baby food for a while until he developed breathing problems and refused the food (couldn't even force it). He lost nearly all his body weight and went downhill fast so sadly we were forced to put him to sleep on November 2nd. Although it is very sad, I know he's in a better place now where he wont feel any pain.

Rest in peace my dearest ben.

im so very sorry for your loss .. ~hugs ... im glad he had someone who cared so much for him and that hes no longer suffering. Peace to u friend, knowing u did everything u could for him

Your efforts were in the right place but his body couldn't keep up. Sorry to hear your sad news.
RIP Little Ben :heart:

Back