Help please im so stressed out

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairebee1

Im sorry i cannot type i am in tears im so stressed i just lifted novo out the non sick one and he has a huge slice from his belly to his testicals theres no blood just like a rip im so upset ive seperated them because i dont want anything happening i cannot get to the vets until tomorrow i really need a friend right now what can i do i feel like crawling away and dieing

I am so sorry.....we are here for you......
Does it look like a deep wound or a long scratch?....they can look much worse then they actually are...no blood is a good sign.

Cuts and gashes are quite common in rats. Don't panic!! It will most likely heal in no time. I bet by tomorrow you'll barely find it.
Has there been a lot of fighting in the cage lately? It could have been an accident...

Its pure pink and its deep and wide its like the fur has been skinned from his body theres no blood at all they have never fought at all before i cannot deal with this :cry4: :cry4: :cry4:
its really deep its like a BIG gash i dont understand it because theres no blood but he wont let me near it .. hes like protecting it and wont let me near its but its SO deap its really clean looking and hes not in no pain because he was running around.

Well it's a really good thing the wound is not bleeding as then you'd have an immediate problem on your hands. Just keep him quiet, safe and warm until you get your rat to the vet tomorrow. Is there any chance you can get a photo of the wound without stressing your boy out too much? Sometimes wounds can look a lot worse than they are, hopefully all your rat will need is to have it cleaned, stitched and perhaps some antibiotics. Is Novo eating yet as that will indicate how in pain or stressed out he is? It may be an ugly gash but it'll most likely heal up nicely so don't freak out too much! :hugs:

I cannot get a picture as he wont really let me near it,
Hes eating and running around i think its down the the muscle layer because its white and the skinned bit is bright pink.

Hes in with warm shredded paper and boxes and tissues and stuff.
But its very deep and big.

Its not deep, or it would be bleeding. Its like this, its a skin slice down to the muscle, the skin is under tension and pulls open making it wide and scary, but it hasn't sliced into the muscle layer. I have seen this a ton of times. It will pull together and close on its own probably by tomorrow or soon after.

The first one I saw was a 5 week old baby...she was running around playing when I saw this reddish gash on her shoulder...I freaked out, she wanted to keep playing. The next morning I couldn't even find where it had been. These things open, a rat zigs when it should zag and a mistake happens.

He should be fine. :)

It won't be muscle if it is white the way you're describing it. You're probably seeing a bit of subcutaneous fat or fascia (I know doesn't really sound that much better but...) The abdominal muscle is very pink/red.

Yes, what the others said. Don't worry!

My girl ripped out her stitches right after surgery, and had a wide open pocket of flesh. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find where it was. My vet explained that rats have VERY thin skin, so it tears fairly easily, but they heal exceptionally well, and quiet often without intervention from us! Just keep an eye on him, try to calm down so he doesn't sense your stress, and take him to the vet tomorrow if you need to. It's very scary the first time, I know, but if there's no blood, then that's very good.

WOW im so amazed i went in and checked on him this morning and half of it is nearly closed so i'll maybe leave him and take him to the vets on friday because i think toto needs to be seen tonight.
should i leave them seperated for how long?
Or would they be ok to go back in together now?

How much do i worry about my boys im really stressed and freaked LOL :oops: :oops:

I just want to thank everyone who helped me on this post now all i need is some good luck at the vets with toto.
Im going to ask him if he could maybe put him on oral baytril.
Because last night i put water in a syringe just to see how he would take it and he was fine so i think i would be able to cope.

:cuddle:

Back