HELP, Open wound! PICTURE POSTED **UPDATE**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsRGods

Okay,tonight I was on my 3rd day of introducing my 2 new 5month old rats to my almost 2year old rat Ennis. Everything had been going great. No major signs of aggression.
Then just about 15-20 minutes ago, one of my little rats attacked Ennis. I was right there but it happened so fast! Ennis sprinted away and I went to check him out & to my horror there is a HUGE gash in front of his left ear. It literally looks like the skin could peel off his face! He is not bleeding much and he took a treat from me.
But I do not know what to do. It is 10pm now, & I cant take him to a vet.
Should I try to get him in tomorrow morning? I took some pictures.
Please help, I dont know what to do. I am so shook up & upset I am shaking.
I'm sorry, but I didnt resize the pix b/c I am in a hurry

DSC02533.jpg

DSC02534.jpg

DSC02538.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

Yikes, that is pretty deep. I'd definately get him in tomorrow. For now I'd put him in his own cage with some clean fleece on the floor.

When I think of some the wounds I've seen boys give each other over the years I actually don't think that one is very bad. Ktina is correct to say you should isolate him, clean the wound and keep him on fabric of some kind. You don't want dust or bits of shavings getting into it. By morning it will probably look much better but if a trip to the vet is possible he/she might put in a stitch or try and paste it together with some surgical glue.

I'm not surprised it went badly. Your 5 month olds are adolescents, filled with raging hormones, and to them Ennis is an old guy who needs to be shown who's the new sheriff in town.

I've never had good luck getting boys together. I have 2 who are going to be neutered this month for just that reason.

I hope Ennis heals up quickly!

It sure does look scary but I've seen much worse. It will heal real fast. A vet won't do much either, you really don't want it closed up as it needs to heal from the inside out or else it will abscess. Make sure he's in a very clean cage and keep an eye on it.

The fact that it's on the face tells me it probably wasn't an out right attack but more of a slice due to Ennis moving too fast and not accepting a possible power groom from the younger boys.

See if he will let you clean it. If not slather on some neosporin or polysporin ointment. It looks like it was only down to the muscle which should heal well. Is it a flap or is the skin taut and the slice allowed it to stretch open?

Sometimes the nastiest wound/slashes like that can seem to heal overnight. As Ktina said, bed him down on fleece (nothing to stick to the wound) and watch for signs of pain. I had a baby with a horrible gash on her haunch...horrible..she kept playing. The next day I couldn't find it anymore.

Okay, thank you. I'm a little more relieved now.

He seems pretty calm. He is sitting on my bed now.
I use the carefresh stuff for bedding, so that is pretty dust free.
He is taking the treats I give him.

God, this is exactly what I was afraid of.
I dont mean to wimp out, but should I forego this introduction thing and leave them separate?

Personally, I wouldn't put any ointment on it at all, it will close it up too fast and could abscess. It needs to stay open not forced closed.

The skin stretches open. I am leaving it alone now and just checking it. It seems i be concealing together, maybe the blood is thickening and sealing it.

I blew Ennis a kiss, I didnt want to bother his poor little head.

I dont have any fleece at the moment (its on my shopping list for this weekend actually)

But I could cover the bottom of the cage with a towel?

It does look very scary! Two of my rats recently received gashes that looked very similar (one on hind leg, and one near his belly). They happened when they were wrestling and one got scared and ran away. Their nails are just so sharp, but both the injuries I mentioned closed overnight and looked much better in the morning.

Sending healing vibes and kisses to Ennis!

Ya'll were right! :happydance:

His wound looks much better today. It appears as though it's sealed up on its own and it is not gaping open.

One last question?
Any recommendations on if I should try to clean it (saline solution perhaps?) or add any antibiotic ointment?
And what signs do I need to monitor for if it gets infected?

Many thank you's. :heart:

If he's kept in a clean cage, then no worries about cleaning it out. I wouldn't put any ointment on it though. For an infection, it would get very red and a lump too.

Back