HELP! ONION IS REALLY SICK (rip)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimani

My sister noticed tonight (at around 8:15pm) that onion, one of our baby rats looked 'off' and after that noticed that there was blood around his bum and on his tail.

I bathed him to see if one of the other rats may had bitten him. I didn't find anything and ran over the the vet.

They told us that he has a urinary track infection (or atleast something wrong with adumon (spelling :( ) I brought him home and he seems to be doing worse.

He is only a baby and I really need help. He looks like he's on his last leg.

Please...someone help me :sad3: I don't want to lose him :cry4:

He needs to be put on azithromycin as soon as possible for the urinary track infection (5 to 15 mg/Ib, twice a day, according to my book) for about 4 weeks, I think. Our vet writes a perscription for it to the drug store. I believe it is good for 14 days after being mixed up. So sometimes our pharmacy only mixes up half a bottle at a time. (I am not a vet. The above is just based on my experience as a rat owner.)

Godmother had a baby girl with a similar infecton, the antibiotic, azithromycin cleared it up.

Azithromycin is an antibiotic that is ok for babies.

Yes, my little girl was cool, pale, and lethargic. The Azithromycin fixed her up quite quickly. If your vet is now closed and if you don't have antibiotic, you'll need to phone and request it first thing in the morning.

yeah, first question - did they give you some antibiotic to give him at home? cause they'd be really remiss if they gave you that diagnosis and didn't send you home with antibiotics!!
So we just have to track how well he is doing on the antibiotic. What did they give you and what dosage?

A urinary tract infection isn't normally going to be a fatal thing, but it can be a very painful thing. I don't know what this adumon might be. can you spell it a different way?

Umm we did get antibiotics. We're going to start him on them tomorrow. Since the vet gave him a shot.

Kimani said:
Never mind. He just died

Oh God Kimani, I'm so sorry. :tearful:

To lose a youngster is one of the most painful things imaginable. Please try to keep your focus on the beautiful moments of your time together.

There is never any rhyme or reason, for us to grasp onto, when a baby dies too soon because we are not capable of communicating with them in a way which would help us understand their weaknesses.

Rats are notorious for trying to keep things as normal as possible, and sometimes they are so successful at it that we don't catch on until it is too late. That is no crime, Kimani. We do everything we can to ensure their comfort and happiness during their stay with us.

Onion's special talents must have been the reason he was needed at the bridge and those reasons will not be available to us until we meet our loved ones again. :love6:

You are lovely Kimani. Your little man is now at the Rainbow Bridge with his little heart full of you.

The pain you feel is natural and just, and you are more than justified in grieving your beloved little man. We will be here to help you through. Remember your little man often and his soul will flourish. :love6:

:hugs:

OMG, I am so so sorry.
There's nothing more you could have done more than you did to take him to the vet and even ask for help on the internet after. Whatever failed him his mom sure didn't. I'm so sad for you, and that the vet could not help and we could not help....
I'm sorry we never got to see a picture of your little Onion happy & playing - but I sure hope that you can remember him that way.
Love to you in heaven little one.

Back