Help - My rat is freaking out!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xamandaxoxo

I bought my first pet rat a week ago. I was planning on getting two, but the only pet store in my area that had any rats only had this one.

He's a cute little thing, but the past few nights when me and my boyfriend were handling him he seemed to be freaking out a bit.

He would twitch, jump around and, run from one side of the bed to the other in 2 seconds flat.

I've read that rats are naturally nocturnal, but are they supposed to have THIS much energy?
Also, I know rats are better in pairs, does this have to do with him not having a "rat-mate"?

I'm really worried, so if anyone has any suggestions or information on why he's like this it will be greatly appreciated. :)

That kinda sounds like my Freya. She's pretty young and super hyper. She has two cage-mates that she plays with quite often, but it doesn't really slow her down. You will want to get a second rat when you can, but I wouldn't be concerned about a rat having too much energy.

EDIT: It sounds like he's just being happy and excited!

He sounds like a happy baby boy. You'll need to be with him and play a lot with him since he's alone, I'd also start looking for a new buddy asap for him.

He sounds fine :) Our rats go from being super crazy calm, to dashing up 3 levels of their cage in 0.5 seconds :lol:

That being said, rats are naturally social creatures and keeping rats alone is generally not recommended.. some rats will even become neurotic if kept alone, leading to unwanted behaviors or even health problems. You should bring him home a friend asap <3

But I don't think his behavior right now is neurotic behavior, I think he's just energetic :) Think about how bored you would be if you were all alone in a cage? What would you do? Probably running around a bit is one way to pass the time :lol:

Also, most pet stores do not keep their rats in very good conditions (the one our girls came from kept them on pine shavings [bad] in tanks [bad] and eating seed mix [bad] which is all very typical). Watch your rat closely for any indication of illness, especially sneezing or other breathing-related trouble. If you can, make sure you bring your rat in to a vet to have an exam done to make sure he's in tip top condition. It's always better to vet-check BEFORE there are problems, so you know your rat is healthy, rather than waiting until something crops up and never knowing if it has always been there or not.

My youngest is also an energy dynamo! At first I thought she heard rat voices, like CRAZY :panic: Then I realized that is just who she is. She was doing that last night and she tired out all her bros and sistahs and still had more pop and zip in her, plus she was in heat. This is what she reminds me of... :shocking: :laugh4:

There's a rescue in your area, I believe, maybe you could ask them if they have any young males up for adoption? I recommend searching Petfinder to see what you can find :) (http://petfinder.com)

Edit: Found them, the name of the rescue is Small Pets - Big Hearts, it's run by a woman named Rachel. She's very sweet, I've spoken with her before. There's information on how to contact them on their Petfinder page: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY627.html

I think it is the cutest when they just have so much energy that they can't contain themselves and they have to just run! It's like they are so happy that you're there that the only way they can tell you is just by letting loose! Have fun with him!

Back