Help, My Rat Has A Weird Infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyRat

So, my rat buddy is two years old, and my mom and I took him to the vet three days ago. He had a hole in his lower region with a black scab over it. He had something similar last year, filled with pus. They had cut it open and drained the infection out last time, but this time they gave us antibiotics and said it was “healing”.
Three days later, he’s had his medicine every twelve hours and his infection is worse. The pus is green now and smells horrible, and it spread to his penis. I read about plugs, but I don’t think this is a plug seeing as it’s the same stuff that’s coming out of the main infection. His pecker looks the same, no weird colors, it’s just producing the exact same green pus that smells horrible.
does anyone have any idea what to do? We live in West Virginia in a place where it seems no vet know how to help us or our rats. If you’ve experienced this or know what to do, please respond.

the picture below is a picture of the infection in both areas
Please note that he bit off the original scab, so now it doesn’t look black like it did
6CEA3324-6A87-4E91-A93C-A6E70E3F0673.jpeg

Can you tell us the medication name and dose along with his weight.? I personally don't have much information but this will help others like lilspaz or SQ in helping you and your rattie

He weights about a pound, thought I’m not sure. He’s on a dosage of 22.7 mg of baytril. He gets a dose every twelve hours, given from one of those feeding needles at .15 ml

Back