HELP! Mushy poo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

I've had my girls for a grand total of 6 days and just now I notice a few mushy poos... light brown-ish in colour and really ..mushy.. ( like I picked it up in a paper towel and I could squish it)not like a normal rat poo. I got the sisters from rescue. They were born June 29. I don't know what to do.. Should I take them to the vet? I am sick with worry. I only found a few of these poos.. and a lottt or normal ones.. but the mushy ones were all around the same spot ( near the food). I have fed them banana, green pepper, tomato, cauliflower. corn,, carrots and cucumber. Oh and of course, their rat blocks. And a few treats ( Honey drops from Hagen Living World.

I really need ll the advice I can get.. I'm a newbie to rats. and I'm so worried about my girls. : (

our rats poos will vary if they had more fruits and veggies. I think you get concerned when they have diarrhea for an extended period of time.

Personally with all that fiber and the fact my girls have mushy poos when they're fresh I wouldn't worry. I only worry about diarrhea if it pours, but, I'm a newbie too and I may be applying human logic to rats.

I'll defer to the more experienced around here. :bow:

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now, but I will still be worried sick. Haha I will keep checking and I will update if I find more or if it lasts for a while...

I wonder if it might have to do with their change in diet too, the stress of moving as well? /thoughts

Thats quite a bit of veggies and fruits for 6 days, and especially if their systems aren't use to getting it in those amounts, their going to get some diarrhea.
I also find some rats are more senstive then others, my boys almost always get a little mushy after having any amounts of baby food or if I give them slightly more veggies then usual.

Nothing to worry about unless your rats have had it for multiple days in a row and/or are showing other symptoms.

The Hagen treats may not be agreeing with their stomach 100% either. For treats I use cheerios or flavored fruit "puffs" (puffed rice baby cereal) as healthy but very popular treats. I would try reducing their veggie intake (it should really only comprise 15% or so of what they eat), or maybe cutting out the Hagen treats and see if that makes a difference. Like everyone else said, a few poops every now and then isn't an issue, but be sure to keep an eye on it.

Okay thanks i will try that. Yeah i dont give them much of the veggies just a small handful and they usually dont eat many. But i will cut out the hagen treats, i didnt want to give it to them because it has sugar in it nut the turned a cold shoulder to my puffed rice.ill picj up some cheerios and keep an eye out for more poops.

Sorry for my horrific spelling , im on my ipod.

I would cut back on the veggies and if it's still mushy poop, give them unsalted soda crackers. It works for mine. Good luck!

mamarat said:
I would cut back on the veggies and if it's still mushy poop, give them unsalted soda crackers. It works for mine. Good luck!

Yes, rats only require a small amount of them.
I, personally, give mine about a tablespoon full a day. So if I'm giving them pea's, then they usually only get 3-4 in a 24hr period.
Unless their pea-fishing!

Back