Help - Ivermectin Dosage for 4 individuals with mites

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeljdawyd

I brought my group of buddies outside and someone caught mites.
I've had success in the past using ivermectin for mites but it has been a couple years and I'm unsure of the safe dosage for the new group, which are different weights.

Here is an older picture showing Sneezy, Pinot, miniTux and Andy's face.

Sneezy - 700g or ~24.7oz
Pinot - 625g or 22oz
miniTux - 800g or ~28.2oz
Andy - 625g or 22oz

Andy and miniTux are dumbo bros roughly 2/3 of a year old.
Sneezy and Pinot are standard rats and also brothers about 1 and 1/2 years old.

Andy was the runt of the litter and has always been tiny but Pinot used to match miniTux and Sneezy for weight and physical size. He has lost weight and become very inactive and scabby, suffering from the mites moreso than anyone else.

I would appreciate some dosage suggestions to prevent over and under dosage.

I am using 1.87% Ivermectin oral paste, which mixed into mashed banana disapears instantly :thumbup:

Thanks for the Help

With the horse paste, the dosage has always been the size of a grain of uncooked rice, no matter the weight. It's really not a good method to treat mites/lice but if you can't get to a vet and get Revolution which is much safer, then the horse paste is worth a shot. Be careful though because it's easy to overdose with ivermectin.

I agree with jorats. I use only Revolution myself, as its MUCH safer, much easier to use (just one small dose and you are done, no crazy cleaning or re-dosing every week for 3 weeks). Are you able to get a tube instead? If you can I can give you individual dosages for each of your boys (I use ratguide's 6 mg/kg).

Here is what I have and have used in the past. The local vets want $80+ per rat just to look at them, which I cannot afford.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I remember it was a small rice sized portion per rat, but is it only once a day or twice a day for a period of time before dropping the dose to 1/day?

I've done this before with success, I just need a reminder of daily dosage and for how long to continue the treatment to kill the mites.

Thanks for the replies!

Much appreciated.

size - uncooked rice grain
duration - ONCE a WEEK for 3 weeks with crazy cleaning of cage and area after each dosing.

Just so you know, I order my revolution online, or get a spare tube from a rat/cat or dog owning friend :)

Back