HELP! Is my rat pregnant??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you feeding for a regular diet? Also, legumes (cooked, of course) and beans are also a good source of protein.

For the birthing bin, no hammocks or anything they could fall from or get crushed by.

I'm feeding them Oxbow, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables. Thanks for the advice!! I'll definitely go ahead and put her in the bin... Do you think it is ok for her sister to be with her? They are very close and I don't want them both to be alone for 6-7 weeks.

It will be best for her to be alone by the time she delivers. They shouldn't share a cage while she's caring for her litter unfortunately but they could still have free ranging time together.

Hi! So today would be the 20th day she would be pregnant and I don't think her belly has gotten much bigger. But, I saw and felt a lump on her and I wanted to know if that was normal? When I felt it I thought it was a baby but I was wondering if you can normally see the lumps on a pregnant rats belly. Here is a pic I managed to snag.

Yes the lumps become more pronounced and within the last day or so you can sometimes see movement if the fetuses. She may have a small litter inside of her, so it's best to wait it out

I'd still wait, just to be on the safe side. Peach was huge the day before she had her bubs. Like, HUGE! She ended up having 12 babies.

Fingers crossed little girl isn't preggo!

Belly pic as of today. I do admit I can see her nipples poking out a bit, but she doesn't look that pregnant to me. I suppose she could be having a small litter and not growing as much as other ratties I have seen. What do you guys think?

She looks quite pregnant to me as well but you're right we will find out soon enough either way. It's good that you are being prepared regardless.

No babies yet - I'm starting to think my girl has the biggest potbelly ever:D today would be day 22, I'll post belly updates tomorrow!

*waits impatiently for photos*

I don't have girls this time because I'm afraid of pregnancies, but I love watching the whole pregnancy process of belly getting bigger... and bigger... and then POOF, babies!

^_^

That belly hasn't changed much at all and since she's at 22 days, I would guess you lucked out...no pregnancy.

Always best to wait til you are out of the danger zone (21-23 days) but it looks more like a cute pot belly to me.

Here is a new belly pic... My ipad will only let me upload one photo at a time. I think she's gotten a bit bigger, let me know what you guys think.

What's the latest anyone has ever heard of a rat giving birth? 24 days seems really long to me... So I'm wondering if she's just made that way? She has been kinda lethargic lately while her sister is buzzing around non-stop :giggle: She may just have a cute potbelly though! :cookie1:

Back