Help, i need some opinions! (On teeth) - ONE BROKE OFF

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

[s:2xfotppe]Today couldnt be worse for rattie problems.

Joey picked up wolf today and noticed he's a little on the skinny side, so of course, i checked his teeth. Both his top and bottom teeth are very long. Next, i tried to feed him food to see if he would eat, and i realized he cant eat solid foods because of it.

Now, we've been at the vet all day, and gathered all our pennies for Ryders euthenasia.

So i need to cut them myself. BUT, he has always had white teeth. So is there any precautions?

I need a step by step... anyone?[/s:2xfotppe]

I am too scard to trim Wolf's teeth myself. So he has an appointment at the vets for the 30th (8 days) to have them done,

Do you think he'll be okay on mush food and baby food until then? He's on my lap right now eating some vegetables and pasta baby food, and has no problems eating that..

I was feeding him today and noticed one of his top teeth has broken off right at the gumline.

Dr Keir showed me how to clip Puzzle's teeth. My hands aren't strong enough so I restrain him with two hands and my stepdad uses the clippers I bought at the vet clinic. I was told there's always a risk of fracturing the teeth [even with a vet] but if you cut straight [not on an angle] and FAST [don't hesitate!] it works out nice.

Puzzle has white teeth and I honestly never knew the color could affect them, the vet never pointed anything out to me.

Thanks for the link Jo, but his teeth are too close together to get the clippers around one at a time. And he WILL NOT sit still for the life of him (even with two people: :laugh2:

I have an experience with white teeth. If you haven't already Pm'ed SQ, then this post should help. White teeth are not the natural color of a rats teeth. This either indicates that there's something wrong with the tooth structure (E.G. Bad tooth genetics), Or a sign of malnourishment. Two of my boys have really bad teeth like that, and as long as your ratties tooth that broke off didn't fall out, it'll be allright and it'll heal up and grow back. My Raphael just broke one of his top teeth off again, and we're taking them to get another trim soon. As long as you get his teeth trimmed, it'll only take a few days before he can eat solids again. Right now, I'm having to crush up lab blocks and feed some mushy veggies to my Raphael in order for him to get something to eat. Also, problems with the teeth growing too long, especially if they're grinded down towards the center, but they're still growing and starting to curve inwards might mean something is wrong with the jaw of your ratty. (E.G. Misalignment)

Thanks,
but now he's bleeding from somewhere. Not alot, mind you. But you can see red when he eats his mushy food.
i'm thinking it's either his bottom teeth rubbing the roof of his mouth, or his lone front tooth harming is bottom lip.
He's got five days left until his visit to the vet, do you think he'll be alright 'till then?

If he's bleeding you might need to see a vet right away... The most important thing about seeing your vet about a little bit of blood, is if you think he is in any kind of discomfort. If he is, then he needs to see a vet right away. And it would do really good if you could give him a type of food that needs more effort to chew through so that it grinds his teeth down a little more.

Ugh, i hate it, thats for sure.
He's bleeding stopped shortly after the post, and hasnt started again since. Im thinking he knocked it while he was wrestling with Lucas and it bled a little.

Five days 'till his appointment.

Do you free feed? Or time feed?

If you free feed your rats, you should make sure to have a source of crushed mushy lab blocks ready in his cage for him, and add in the others whenever he seems like he doesn't want the crushed up lab blocks. Also, the other rats in your cage might look at the crushed blocks as a treat.

If you don't free feed make sure to keep what you're doing up :D

Back