Help getting Jezzybelle more social? (Update)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace8670

Okay so I got Jezzy from a snake owner she was repeatedly attempted to be fed to their snake but their snake refused to eat her. Honestly she has come along way. She no longer screams at me anymore or other rats and after her spay she adjusted to the colony quite well she even takes treats out of my hands and semi checks me out at the cage doors. But, she doesn't play with the other rats she chills with Bobo who has reached an age where he just wants to be lazy and I've written that off as maybe it's just part of her personality even tho she is only reaching 4 months old. Even tho she no longer screams she freaks out at being picked up and scrabbles to get out of my hands she seems like she wants to explore the room but after a month shes only gone as far as from chilling under the cage to the bottom of the bookshelf even though she has full range of the room and toys and she only stays out for the most 20 minutes before running back to the cage to hide away. I been getting her in the habit of chilling in my shirt she even will take treats from me and eat them in my shirt but she hasn't warmed up more to me anymore then taking treats from my hands. Is there anything else I can do to help Her warm up to me more? My other rats can't wait to crawl into my lap or play so the setting of an example isn't an issue. Am I just at the max to expect from her on the socializing end?

The longest I ever got her to stay on me after her chilling in my shirt it lasted about as long as it took for her to gulp down the yogie lol

Sometimes it can take months and months, it all depends on what they remember. You can either work harder at socializing, lots of touching, grabbing, treats or respect her wishes and let her come to you when she wants too. Both I believe are good. With some I've worked hard and others' like my two rex boys currently, I've decided to let them be, sometimes they come sniff me and that's ok but I know I can't pet them. My thinking this time around, so long as they are happy and enjoy cuddles from their rat buddies.

Sorry, I don't have any hints to offer.. this is not a strong area for me.. But I just wanted to say she's a beautiful girl!

..And that it sounds like she's coming along very well so far, all in all..

One of my rats, Lady Calista, is like that. She was never hurt or offered as snake food, but she has always been skittish and shy. Maybe that is just Jezzybelle's personality? It sounds to me like you are doing a good job, though! Calista wont even sit on my lap like that, treats or not!

Yeah she all in all has come a very long way but the progress we are at now she came to within in two weeks if not less then it was like I just hit a wall and haven't been able I guess to get her to really even like me she loves food if I have it great she tolerates me if I don't ? Well she runs climbs and scrambles away so I will leave her alone I will admit I was taking it slow I was hoping the others would show her how cool I am with only minimal forced socializing I will take your advice Jo and never let her have a moments rest from me :p

Annoying Jezzybelle with attention apparently was the way to go :p just over the last few days and its been working wonders I guess I was just going to easy on her due to her background she still has some road bumps but she now runs up to the cage doors with the the others (except Bobo usually he is too Kool to want my attention :roll: ) when I enter the room and I noticed she is a lot more outgoing over the last few days especially when it comes to me she wants to know what I'm doing and why or just to see if I have more treats for her :giggle: I guess it can only get better thanks so much for the advice :)

I mixed some rice and apple baby cereal with some mango pedilite As a treat for them she just love big daddy Bobo I never see them apart I guess Dixie was just too adventurous for her tastes
2whqmxj.jpg

"Hey whAtcha doin?" :giggle:
in9v1h.jpg

Back