Hellos

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

Hi Im new to the group and also new to having rat. I adopted a female around 2 years thinking she was in great health and looking into rats found that she should have a friend. Well last week we adopted a new girl about 6 months and they were getting a long great in the supervised meet and greets. My older girl tailly started bout a week ago breathing harder and reading about how quickly they get sick i took her to the vet and she has mycoplasma. So now she is one two antibiotics and getting a nebulize treatment twice a day. The worse part is that my new girl, coco can not be in a cage with her unless she shows sins too that she has it. So yea its been a hard week and i feel like i didnt get to enjoy her enough and now she has to take it easy and im terrified she is going to pass. I have two boys 7 and 5 who are not ready for another loss.

That is tough, seeing Rally get sick so fast. Once a rat is more than two, every month is a gift.

You don't need to keep your girls apart, though. All rats have the Mycoplasma organisms in their lungs anyway. Older rats are more susceptible to getting sick from Mycoplasma as their immune systems age.

May Tally make a good recovery. Sending good wishes her way.

And welcome to the Rat Shack.

Welcome!
I too highly recommend putting your girls back together. The older girl will do better with her friend living with her. The little one should be strong enough to fight off any myco flare up. All rats have myco anyways.
Long term meds should help clear Tailly right up.

Thanks, I asked the vet if i could put them together and she said they couldnt be together. The way i understood it was all rats pretty much have it. She goes back in a week so i guess i will just bring it up again. i dont want to stress out tailly any more then she is. Man getting her to take her meds is a pain and its hard.

Lars said:
Thanks, I asked the vet if i could put them together and she said they couldnt be together. The way i understood it was all rats pretty much have it. She goes back in a week so i guess i will just bring it up again. i dont want to stress out tailly any more then she is. Man getting her to take her meds is a pain and its hard.

Welcome to the forum!

Some vets that are not very rat savvy say to isolate sick rats but unless you have them isolated in a completely different air space (different buildings or in different rooms with specialized ventilation systems) your other rat has already been exposed. Sometimes rats will get very ill but rats living in the same cage will remain completely healthy, taking away buddies only stresses them and doesn't give them a reason to fight to get better.

Back