Hello

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxrats

I've been on this group for a few years, though just now getting around to purchasing my first rats after a long time. My first rats both had tumors before a year old, and I don't want to go through that again. They also screamed and fought constantly and kept me awake all night. I'm now looking at getting rats from a breeder, as I've heard its bad to get from the pet store. I've looked at many beauties already, but I'm just curious as to which colors and patterns are the healthiest. Thanks in advance, Mike

Hi Mike,
I have heard that claim before but people who have had rats from breeders have reported that they were not healthier then rescue rats - some were actually less healthy. (Since this is a rescue based forum that does not support breeding that is all I will say.)
I would suggest that you get rats from a rescue or shelter or from someone rehoming their rats or rehoming an accidental litter.

If you want to prevent the most frequent types of tumours and aggression in males (and if you have access to a good knowledgeable rat vet) you will want to get your rats spayed or neutered. http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

Female rats have a more the 85% chance of getting mammary tumours so people with access to a good vet knowledgeable about rats will get their rats spayed.
I have never heard of girls spayed by 4 months of age getting mammary tumours.
http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/spay.php
btw girls in heat will chase one another etc

Rats can get other types of tumours but it is less likely.
A good healthy diet, good care, and prompt vet care can help to prevent or minimize health issues.

Males can be stressed by high hormone levels and if this occurs, people with access to a good rat vet who knows how to do surgery safely on rats, will get them neutered as this will solve the problem. http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/neuter.php

Double rex rats and hairless rats have more health issues then other rats because of their lack of hair.
They are also prone to eye issues and infections.

Rats with high white markings (white on areas that would not normally be white) or from a high white litter (parent or sibling have high white makings), may have a terminal (early onset) or difficult to manage (late onset) genetic issue called megacolon.
http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/megacolon.php
Quote: "you will often see genetic megacolon in BEW (black-eyed white), husky, blazed, split-capped, tei-colored, odd-eyed, and other “high white” lines of rats."

If rats are in a large cage (min 4 cubic feet with a base at least 30 in by 18 in for 2 rats) with lots of toys etc they may be active at night and wrestle and play
but if they are fighting then there is a problem to deal with.

I hope this info helps

Last edited:
Never heard of a rescue based before lol, but thanks for the info. The breeders say shes not adopting right now due to a quarantine, but I'll ask her about the tumors and other things. My friend already got rats from her. So far no health problems. I really want a Burmese and a Martin!

The theory is that breeder rats would be healthier because responsible breeders would start with only the healthiest rats they could get and then continue to breed with health a top priority. Unfortunately the reality is that the majority of rat breeders care more for pretty coat colours/types than the best possible health of their ratties.

Rats used to live much longer - 3 or 4 years. Now average life span is 2 to 2.5 years, although some still live to 3 or even over 4 years (I am speaking of rescues). IMO, if breeders have really breeding healthier rats for years, then their rats should be living as long as they used to live, or at least longer then other rats, but they are not.

I honestly don't think there's any differences in colours and coat patterns for behaviour. All rats have the potential to be very lovely pets. It all depends on their unique character and also how their mom raises them. I've been keeping rats for over 15 years and I've also seen no difference between a pet store rat, a breeder rat or a rescue rat. Once you get your rats, make sure to socialize and interact with them a great deal. Keep them on a proper rat diet and keep it healthy, no sugar, no salt, low fat and low protein. A clean habitat/cage and regular vet visit should ensure a longer life span. I've had quite a few rats live to 3 to 3.5 years. For the last 10 years, I've only been rescuing rats and they are my loveliest rats ever.

To chime in on breeding: there are hundreds+ rats looking for a loving home right now in the US and Canada. Breeders will increase the pet rat population directly by breeding rats and indirectly by adopting out rats to irresponsible owners who will then breed the rats themselves. Those new breeder rats will occupy space, time, and love that could otherwise be given to the rescue rats already alive. (not intended to guilt anyone, but just to educate)

Also: without testing genetics or measuring predispositions to illnesses in a controlled scientific study, there is no way to know which rats have good genetics. As far as I know no pet rat breeders have the equipment and funding to accomplish this.

Thanks. I got rats a while ago from a different breeder, as the rest were on hold down due to some virus scare. I got 2 females and 2 rescue males. She was very nice and sold me the fancy ones for half the price for getting the rescues.

Back