Hello, new ratie owner from KY.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bige

Hello everyone from KY.

I am a new rat owner. I just adopted two male dumbow ratties from the local pet store a month ago. I had been "discussing" purchasing rats with my wife for a couple of years and finally got the green light when my son and I made our usual weekly visit to the pet shop. I say "discussing" because the conversation was always very short and ended with a "no rats are gross".

We got to the petshop and after making our normal round of looking at dogs and cagts for adoption we headed to the small animal section and there we found a cage with two rats and a sign. The sigh basically said the rats had been purchased by someone and aparrently they had later decided they were afraid of the rats. The rats were never taken out of the cage and one had gotten into a fight with a cage mate. He had an open wound on his head and a large patch of skin and hair hanging on. The two had definitely seen better days. So the deal was a very large Superpet cage (http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/image ... 248-bg.jpg) with some used toys, a hammock, a used wire wheel covered in duct tape and the rats all for 30 bucks. The cage did not have any wheels, hardware or any of the levels in it. I trashed all the stuff in the cage and added two hammocks, a new wheel and I am now making levels to go in it as well.

So both rats are doing great. Both are now resocialized and all the wounds are healed up. Can't even tell they were there. We get them out daily and they enjoy plenty of vegies and fruit. They are fiends for yogurt. Surprise, surprise right?

It was was warm this past weekend and I took my previously injured boy Rex back to the pet shop for a visit. He loves to sit on my shoulder and go for a ride. They were happy to see that he is doing so well. Unfortunately both rats are now sneezing and are scratching themselves to death, but that I will save fo rthe proper section of the forum.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to talking with everyone.

BigE

Awww you ALL look so happy...beautiful and lucky boys!! :thumbup:

I wouldn't advise taking your rats back to the petstore anymore though (just take pics) since there are contagious viruses that your rat could catch easily there.

Yep I was thinking the same thing when we got home that day. He is having some skin issues right now and I wanted to get their advice. Of coursde they alll wanted to hold him and the whole time I'm think "aww crap. Bad idea." They have all owned rats, but it seems the information I get from them and the info I get from forums is very different. I am still in the learning stages and I am looking for good free info. Vet bills can get expensive at 50 bucks a pop. I think may be headed that way though.

[paz68"]Awww you ALL look so happy...beautiful and lucky boys!! :thumbup:

I wouldn't advise taking your rats back to the petstore anymore though (just take pics) since there are contagious viruses that your rat could catch easily there.[/quote]

The scratching is most likely mites (invisible) or lice (visible) and must be treated with either Revolution (preferred since you use just 1 drop on each rat and they are protected for 30 days (longer than the buggie's life cycle) OR Ivermectin oral paste (dosed 3 times, once a week, and then a massive cage and area cleanup and washing each time).

The sneezing...did it start 3-4 days after you went to the pet store or earlier? What type of sneezing is it? Dry and rapid, or wet and congested?

Welcome to the forum! It's so wonderful that you were able to adopt your boys who so desperately needed a home.

You'll find that most pet stores are notorious for being incorrect in the information they give about rat care.

The three of you are ADORABLE! We need more men on the boards :D

Back