Hello, Just adopted!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattieGurl

Hello, Just adopted my Hairless rat, Isabella. :ilike:
She was in a home were she was being breed with other rats. and I guess the lady's husband doesn't want her breeding anymore, so shes re-homing all of her rats.
I was lucky enough to get Isabella.

I guess Isabella might be prego, MAYBE. we are not sure.
Shes very scared today as this is her first day. but she will warm up to me with time.
any thoughts on how to break the ice with her?:info:

I thought about food, and tried it, but she doesn't really want to take food from me. I think shes just too scared.
I have let her smell my fingers, she does not bite, shes a sweety.

I don't have a very roomy cage, but i will be searching for a bigger one down the road.

if you have any ideas on what to do about bonding with her, or how to tell for sure if shes prego, and if she is what to do, and how to properly care for her, that would be awesome.
I have had rats before but it was a long time ago. I had to re-home my two rats bear and Rex because my bf got allergic to them. They were so cool, they were BIG boys. anyways, Isabella is hairless, and so far today no reaction :D

11990610_1115966788432181_7485795271371513669_n.jpg

The easiest way to tell if she is pregnant is to wait three weeks! If you make it that long and there are no babies, you are in the clear. LOL
Some people will say to get her a companion, and I agree she needs company, but I would wait until the baby watch is over, just in case.
I would do the 'down the shirt' trick with her to bond with her. She will start taking treats when she is more comfortable.

Congrats, I agree with Joanne! If that is a heat or a/c source you have her in front of, she needs to be moved.
Yes that is a heater, but it is only useable during winter months. The management turns it off the rest of the time. But above that in the window is an a\c. Its high enough it doesn't hit her, and she is right under it so she's kinda In the clear. But it is a concern, because we have the ac on a lot. I'll send u full pic.

The easiest way to tell if she is pregnant is to wait three weeks! If you make it that long and there are no babies, you are in the clear. LOL
Some people will say to get her a companion, and I agree she needs company, but I would wait until the baby watch is over, just in case.
I would do the 'down the shirt' trick with her to bond with her. She will start taking treats when she is more comfortable.

Well, one thing i have realized and noticed is that if you rattie doesn't fully trust you and shes prego she will defiantly bite you. well. i posted it in another section, but I got bite today. Not sure what went wrong. I had a good time with her this morning thought, before she bite me, I was rubbing her ears, and back. I would stop and she would look at me like why did you stop. The bite even though it was a little bloody was not all that bad or painful. I had this one rat I got for free off Craigslist she was so beautiful, i just loved her markings. This was years ago. Turned out she was prego, cause she first bite me so hard I was gushing blood, then my boyfriend was all, No you did something wrong. So he tried to stick his hand in the cage. And well you can guess what happened to him. that was the worst bite I have ever had. also i was bit on the eye lid by a hamster when i was younger. the hamster jumped up and bite me, but she didn't have to jump to far, i was trying to hug her. lol.

Well, one thing i have realized and noticed is that if you rattie doesn't fully trust you and shes prego she will defiantly bite you. well. i posted it in another section, but I got bite today. Not sure what went wrong. I had a good time with her this morning thought, before she bite me, I was rubbing her ears, and back. I would stop and she would look at me like why did you stop. The bite even though it was a little bloody was not all that bad or painful. I had this one rat I got for free off Craigslist she was so beautiful, i just loved her markings. This was years ago. Turned out she was prego, cause she first bite me so hard I was gushing blood, then my boyfriend was all, No you did something wrong. So he tried to stick his hand in the cage. And well you can guess what happened to him. that was the worst bite I have ever had. also i was bit on the eye lid by a hamster when i was younger. the hamster jumped up and bite me, but she didn't have to jump to far, i was trying to hug her. lol.

I don't mind having babies, I also had some free babies off Craigslist a long time ago. rex and bear. they grew up so freakin fast. The babies were lots of fun. and best of all the never bit!

You should try and find another spot for the cage away from the heater and a/c.
Hopefully she is just being hormonal and is not always nippy.

Back