Hello! I could use a little rat help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJacquie

Hi my name is Jacquie. I recently adopted a male rat who was going to be a feeder to someone's python but the snake did not want to eat it. As you can guess he is not social, he comes to the cage walls to check me out and he will come to my hand for some Cheerios. I am looking for a second rat to be his friend. I know rats need a friend and I am thinking an older male that is calm might help him adjust. It makes me so sad to think of how traumatizing those feeder bins are! And does anybody know of a vet in London Ontario that will look at rats?

Thanks!

Hi & Welcome! Im in London ON, and I work in a vets office :) I would suggest taking him to Pine Valley Animal Hospital, 1830 wharncliffe rd south, (519) 649-2375. The vet, Dr Yelen, has rats of his own, and he has been my rats vet since I found him. If you look on Kijiji you can find a lot of rats looking for homes, there is also a member here who lives in London, who had an accidental litter, but there are only girls left from what I heard Last. But if you get the boy neutered he could be very happy with a girlfriend or two XD

Edit: And just keep doing what you are doing, offering treats etc, soon enough he will learn that there is nothing to be afraid off, and even enjoy coming out and spending time with you :)

Thanks! I will give the office a call and get this little guy checked out. I used to rescue kittens before I had my daughter and when my friend was going to take him back to the pet store I couldn't let him. I have a lot to learn still.

:welcome4: to the Rat Shack! So glad that you have adopted this little ratty. He will be so happy as he gradually figures out that he is safe now. And he will probably feel calmer once he has a friend.

:dance: :joy: Welcome, you are going to find you just got yourself the best pet possible!!! Congratulations!!!!

Welcome to the shack! I have some rats from the same sort of situation. It takes a lot of patience but extremely rewarding :)

I am happy to say I found two rescue males (Pikachu & Riachu) to join Rattata! I am introducing them tonight and hopefully everything goes well!

Yes I have been doing a lot of reading. I know it should not be done in the cage. I have a large tupperware container to use. I'm always up for any advice as well!

I like to use the bathtub, since its big, and easy to interfere if anything happens. Some people also use a table top. The second step would be to put them where the first rat is used to, but you have not had him long enough for that, so you depending how it goes, you can probably skip that step and go to the cage.

So things are going well. Rattata came up to the cage door and took a treat right from my hand! I am having some problems introducing them though, the first introduction turned into a fight. Should I put the cages side by side so they can interact more? I'm so glad that Rattata is coming out of his hidey hole and when I come to the cage for treats he runs up to me! I thought this step would take a lot longer! Riachu and Pikachu are not doing as well. They are still in hiding, they came out a little yesterday to check out their new cage but, they were pretty terrified of everything. My worry is that I don't know what normal rat behaviour is. Or abnormal behaviour. I am so glad I found this site and so many people who are willing to offer advice and help out! Right now I am going out to find a bigger cage for the boys. Do you guys think Ratatta will eventually get used to the boys and they can all live together or is there a chance he will not want rat friends living with him?

I think you just have to stick to the intros, do it in the bathtub or another scary place. They may not get along, but as long as its not a true fight (like a rat ball, or blood), they will eventually get along. If after a few days/weeks and no change, one of them, or all, may need a neuter (its about $100 at the clinic (the neuter + pain meds). (Im getting my three young boys neutered next week so they can get along better with my old man).

And just keep doing what you are doing, offering treats etc, soon enough they will comfortable with you :)

Okay so we had a second introduction today. Things went a little better, the three got along until Riachu and Pikachu (the two brothers) got into a fight and Riachu bit the tip of Pikachu's tail right off! After some research and finding out this is common, I cleaned the wound with a saline solution and put some polysporin on it as he doesn't seem to be agitated about it at all. He stayed still while I cleaned him up so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Everyone is back in their cages and running around now. Ratatta is doing so much better. He comes up to me at the cage door and will stay and eat the treat by my hand. I ripped up an old t-shirt of mine and put it in both cages for them to nest with. The boys will come up to me after a few minutes too but, they won't take food out of my hand yet. I figure it's only a matter of time since they are already well handled and used to people.

Welcome. Congrats! You seem to be doing well with the intros. Make sure they have something yummy they can enjoy together. And lots of patience. lol

Back