Hello from the terrible triplets (and a plea for help - possible jaw cyst)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatMomZ

Hi all,

We are a family of three lovely and very mischevious rat girls (or rather 20month old ladies), Panic, Hiccup, and Ghost with one single rat mom. We all hate staying still for photos but love sleeping on our faces or in a little rattie puddle.
20180218_131219.jpg 20180426_215441.jpg 20180422_224644.jpg

Panic enjoys smooches and watching netflix with mom, while Hiccup prefers ruling the roost and camping out in the clubhouse. Ghost's favourite activity is attempting the great escape by scaling the outside of the cage behind mom's back. And mom enjoys the peace and quiet when all are fed and snuggling!!

After 14 months of relatively few health problems (some minor self inflicted back bruising) we have a had a few months of mammary tumours (all gone now!) And now are on to our latest fiasco.

Ghost has had porphyrin staining to her right eye for just over a month. Vet whipped out her mammary tumour (found just over a month ago) 03/04, and started a course of enrobactin and exocin eye drops. Neither have resolved the excess porphyrin.

On saturday we went back and were prescribed Isathal to see if that eased it as the antibiotics didn't. After two days of administering this twice a day she now has a lump on her jaw which appeared in the space of about 30mins (the equivalent to where human wisdom teeth are). Feels like a round mass but not hugely hard. Initially thought she had got some food stuck or something. Doesn't seem to be in pain and is her usual exploratory self, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas please? I've tried to have a look but she is currently more interested in escaping inspection than sitting still and opening her mouth.

Thanks all!

If it came up that fast, it could be a facial abscess.
Abscesses on the face are very dangerous ...... I would strongly suggest that you take Ghost in to see a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats asap!

Please post pics of the mass and her face and her neck

Thank you. From the abscess images on here I think it is one. It's turning bruise coloured but doesn't seem to be getting bigger. She has an appointment for tomorrow eve but I'll see how she is when I get up and go for an emergency one if I need to. Have tried to take a picture but she's onto me now and won't stay still for too long

Hopefully you can see it a bit in these. She's currently hiding out so will grab her in a bit and ask someone to take a photo under her jaw more. The one popping out of the box shows how her jaw usually looks (The flash makes her look super scary but she's such a sweetie. Gentle little soul)
20180430_214122.jpg 20180430_213302.jpg 20180430_212959.jpg 20171112_200947.jpg

In somewhat good news. It scabbed and burst already. Not sure if that is normal for an abscess to appear and burst within 24 hours?

Will keep my vet appointment because it may need cleaning out more but I'm wondering if it was to do with some dye they put in her eye on saturday, to check for blockages, as the stuff that came out of the abscess was fluorescent green not typical pus colour. (Which the vet said would happen if it came into contact with infection) haven't got a pic post bursting (currently looks like a deflated blister). Thank you for your help and support SQ. Will update tomorrow eve with progress.

One slightly less worried rat mom.

20180430_224931.jpg

lol eww. Good news though. They can burst that quickly, sure. Definitely keep you appointment though. She needs antibiotics at this point and possible a flush out of the area.

Thank you both. Fingers crossed this will be the end of it. Poor baby needs some good health for a while.

Abscesses can range from pus color to flourescent green and it's always foul smelling as it's bacteria. Hopefully it was just a minor surface abscess and doesn't come back but now that it's open you need to flush the cavity with isotonic saline (salinity of our body) twice a day to flush out any pus the forms, bacteria, etc. Once it heals towards the surface you can stop. Just use a medicating syringe with warm saline in it and start gently but try to make the flush as forceful as possible. If any bacteria remains inside when the surface scabs over they abscess could recur.

Thank you all for the support, advice and welcoming. We have seen the vet today who has removed the scab and cleaned out the abscess and is happy with how it looks now. I've been advised to monitor it and keep it clean for a few days and hopefully that will be the end of it. Pleased to report Ghost is her usual cheeky self and not bothered in the slightest by it while I worry myself silly

Last edited:
Thank you. Is there a simple way to get a good salt to water ratio? I'll do some hot compresses too.

Back